Railroad Forums 

• R.I P. NYS&W 2300

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#405113  by rcbsd45

Well, another unit bit the dust today. The 2300, the ex P&W B23-7 called it quits earlier today when it apparently blew two cylinders out of the block. Nothing indicates anyone was injured, but its a safe bet that this engine is down for the count if not out completely. Must have been quite a sound and sight to behold... more as this develops, I'm sure.....

#423193  by NorfolkSouthernSean

Where is this unit currently? There is an ex-P&W GE parked at the end of the one siding in Ridgefield Park with passenger cars behind it.

#423209  by amoreho1

NorfolkSouthernSean wrote:Where is this unit currently? There is an ex-P&W GE parked at the end of the one siding in Ridgefield Park with passenger cars behind it.
i dont no

#423303  by Luther Brefo

NYSW should be capable of pulling the prime mover and replacing it if it is that bad. Else, remove the power assemblies and install two replacements.

#423341  by lvrr325

Traction motors are the hot, expensive parts on these units. Don't know much about parts availability on the prime movers. Broken rods may mean the crank needs to be machined. It's kind of a toss up wether the unit is worth more in parts or complete; you still can't quite reach a comparable EMD for the money you'd get parting it out.