• "--Train" message PIMS

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Love Train

Sometimes, when looking at the Passenger Information Messaging System signs, they display in one of the rows "--Train". What does this mean when it says this? Is it just a malfunction?
  by Sand Box John

"Love Train"
Sometimes, when looking at the Passenger Information Messaging System signs, they display in one of the rows "--Train". What does this mean when it says this? Is it just a malfunction?

One of two things are happening here. The approaching trains has manually selected and entered a destination code that would display NO PASSENGERS on the trains destination sign. The train control room up steam that relays the statuses of the approaching train did not get all of the data needed to display the status of the train that would be displayed on that line of text.

Selected track circuits have bidirectional communication capabilities. These track circuits are used communicate the trains destination code and train number to the train control rooms to automatically set the correct route based on the trains destination codes. Some of this information is also used to update the status of trains on the Passenger Information Messaging System displays.
  by Love Train

Sand Box John wrote:"Love Train"

One of two things are happening here. The approaching trains has manually selected and entered a destination code that would display NO PASSENGERS on the trains destination sign. The train control room up steam that relays the statuses of the approaching train did not get all of the data needed to display the status of the train that would be displayed on that line of text.

Selected track circuits have bidirectional communication capabilities. These track circuits are used communicate the trains destination code and train number to the train control rooms to automatically set the correct route based on the trains destination codes. Some of this information is also used to update the status of trains on the Passenger Information Messaging System displays.
Thanks, that helped! :-)

by jersey_emt

I saw one of these during my trip to DC this week, and was going to ask the same question. Thanks for the info!

by Sand Box John

"jersey_emt"
I saw one of these during my trip to DC this week, and was going to ask the same question. Thanks for the info!

If you really want to see where the trains are, go to the station manages kiosk and ask him to bring up the ROCS on his computer. ROCS shows the general location and train number of every train on the mainline.

I just wish the various committees that make decisions at WMATA would make the decisions and publish ROCS on the internet.