Railroad Forums 

• "THE ERIE LIMITED" AMTRAK Excursion Hoboken-Bingo

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#30571  by BlockLine_4111

Why did you plan a trip on the ERIE to Binghamton using Amtrak equipment versus a trip on the DL&W to Scranton using URHS and/or NJT equipment ?

I think the latter would have more appeal and economy.

#30759  by Tri-State Tom

Mike -

Presume Don to be an Erie fan. Unlike the Lackawanna, the ex-Erie route is still intact from West End thru to Binghamton....and certainly qualifies under 'rare milage' for a passenger excursion.

The DL&W Cut-Off isn't back in operation yet !

#30783  by njt4172

Tom,

I think your missing the point! Mike meant a trip from Hoboken to Scranton using the DL&W Washington Secondary and up through Portland to the main through the Gap.....

Steve

#30792  by BlockLine_4111

My proposed trip, if they used NJT's newest Comet coaches, could be a real treat for the localites in PA. Give them a taste of what to expect when the Cut-Off opens up too. Mixing politics with the element of fanfare.

#30806  by Tri-State Tom

Steve -

Mike said -

"....versus a trip on the DL&W to Scranton using URHS and/or NJT equipment ? "t

and -

" Give them a taste of what to expect when the Cut-Off opens up too. "

I think I know what Mike is trying to say but since the DL&W's 'Old Road' ends at the Delaware River and the main line is severed between Port Morris and Slateford Junction, there can be no 'trip on the DL&W to Scranton'. Don's trip was indeed going to offer an 'all ex-Erie' rails excursion....very rare.

Mike -

Again nitpicking....there's nobody between Port Murray in NJ and say the Taylor Yard area south of Scranton ( the way/route you're suggesting to Don ) that probably will use or give a hoot about the Cut-Off.

Aside from that, it's a fun trip/route that the M&E used with the Alcos and 7-8 coaches/engines several years ago over a weekend back and forth to Steamtown.

#30870  by Tri-State Tom

Steve / Mike -

Apologies....just came back and re-read your messages.

The route suggested - up the Delaware River to the Gap and west to Scranton....not all ex-Lackawanna rail, correct ? And Lordy, that routing would take forever even one-way, no ?

#30901  by BlockLine_4111

I assume to get from P-Burg to the B&P branch they must traverse over some non-DL&W iron. But for the most part you have a sizeable portion of running on ex-DL&W iron. Yes there could be some slow running in spots. I'd hope NJT and the D-L expeditite matters while NS would not be a bunch of sticklers.

Picture a pair of smoky, red M&E Alcos, plus that specially geared NJT 42XX series GP40PH (for HEP), pulling about ten of NJT's newest Comets. Could double as a 'political catalyst' to kick start the Cut-Off restoration too.

#31069  by njt4172

To ALL:

We at least the NAZIS still let you take pictures from public propety.... NJT has a picture ban no matter where you take pictures!!! You need to obtain a stupid permit!!!

Steve
 #32314  by DonPevsner

(1)It would have taken FOREVER to go a "DL&W route":

(a)NJT and NS Washington Secondary (crew shortage on the
latter) Hoboken-Hackettstown-Washington-Phillipsburg.

(b)NS Portland Secondary Phillipsburg-Slateford Junction.

(c)Short line operation (GWV) Slateford Junction-Scranton.

(d)Canadian Pacific Scranton-Binghamton.

(e)Return next day over the NS former Erie mainline.

When the New Jersey Cutoff reopens, one-way DL&W and one-way
Erie would be PERFECT. But NOT in the presence of most Metro NYC
railfans these days, who are too cheap to buy a ticket that will just
cover the break-even cost to ride. Too bad.

(2)AMTRAK would NOT let its consist out overnight.

(3)Cost would have been a lot more than the $89,400 AMTRAK was
charging for about 630 total miles via the Erie both ways...including
consist deadheading PHL-Hoboken both ways. As almost no one was
willing to pay the $185 RT required to reach a break-even point
@ at least 450-odd passengers, a higher fare would have been even
destructive.

(4)For all of you who made positive comments, thanks. I was
prepared from the outset to donate my legal time to a break-even
operation, but NOT to lose $10,000+ from a failure.