Railroad Forums 

• "Hocking Valley & Lake Erie" mystery line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#255005  by salminkarkku

I understand that this company wanted to convert the Hocking Canal into a railroad at the end of the nineteenth century. Also I read that it built 3 miles of line and that it was worked by the TOC. Does anyone know where?

#255314  by cw cabin

The first run was July 16, 1868. An engine and car were run over the track from Columbus to Canal Winchester, a distance of 14 miles. The Company at this time was called Columbus & Hocking Valley Railroad Company. If you want to read more on the history of the Hocking Valley Railroad go to http://www.chescweb.com/hvrail/ click on history.

#255399  by salminkarkku

The ICC stats list the HV&LE as operating from 1898 to 1905. Different company with similar name. I think it was going to be a competitor for the HV.