Railroad Forums 

• "Hidden" Alcos stored in Lake Yard, Portland, OR

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#413599  by GOLDEN-ARM

Last time I ran the Vancouver Hauler, from Albany Or., to Vancouver, I was held at Lake Yard, Portland. The yard was fairly clear, and while half-dozing, I turned to talk to the Cndr, and there they were. Up against a building, at the very southern edge of the yard, was a pair of gray Alco switchers, looking like S-4's, from my vantage point of about 1/4 mile away. Couldn't see the trucks, though. They are behind a giant warehouse, which abuts SR 30, and it's behind a tall fence that makes seeing it unlikely, from anywhere other than inside Lake Yard, which is itself behind a fence, as well. Perhaps GN599 knows more about them. He must get into Lake Yard at some point in his travels........ :-D I get held at 2.2 sometimes, but there's not much hope, of crossing through the entire yard, to go see them up close.

#413688  by GN 599

I've seen them too. They have been there since I first worked out of Vancouver in 2001. I believe they are the old PTRR (Portland Terminal) switchers. Not 100% though.

#413851  by N. Todd

These are two ex-Portland Terminal S-2s, have been stored since the mid-80s.
One is serv. Behind the Lacey Harmer facility. Owned by NRHS.

#414087  by GN 599

Yeah I thought they belonged to the NHRS. I think I read about them in their equipment roster on the website.