• "Approaching" announcement on Automatic Stop Announcements

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

Has anyone else seen this?

This was on Alstom 6008 last night, and it displayed this as we were on our final approach to Greenbelt. Basically, the displays went from "GREENBELT" to "APPROACHING" to "GREEN" (when we arrived in the station). Otherwise, the displays were actually working correctly, showing the name of the next station and the arrows (no sliding, as is the case on some Alstoms I've seen). This seems to make sense for terminals, since trains arrive on both tracks at the terminals, but it certainly threw me for a loop. Has anyone else seen this before?
  by tommyboy6181

That is certainly new as I have never seen this on the rehabs before.
  by SchuminWeb

tommyboy6181 wrote:That is certainly new as I have never seen this on the rehabs before.
I've never seen it on the Breda rehabs, either. It seems, though, that Metro is experimenting with the interior LEDs on the Alstoms, as I saw another car with sliding text on the LED. Basically, it was the same procedure as before, but rather than just changing, the departing text would slide off to the left before the next message popped on. Thus:

GALLERY PLACE
[...slide...]
>>>
[...slide...]
RED
[...slide...]
JUDICIARY SQ
[...slide...]
>>>
[...slide...]

(you get the point)
  by realtype

Interesting, I've never seen that before either, on any car. If Metro wants to improve the announcements they should make sure that all of them show the next stop instead of them just showing the line color for the entire trip and not changing. It's very uncommon to ride a train with LED siplays showing the next station and door side (especially the rehabbed Bredas and CAFs the latter of which I can't recall ever seeing them "work"). They seem to be improving in this respect however.
  by SchuminWeb

As I understand it, the sign information comes from the lead car, and if the other cars do not get that information for whatever reason, the sign will default to the line color. Thus if the lead car's settings are messed up, or if it's a Rohr or a 4000 in the lead, then you'll get the line color.

Personally, I think that if Metro wants to improve the interior LEDs, they need to use them to their full extent. More messages, more information, and colors. I'm pretty sure that at least the Alstoms can do green as well as red, because I've seen flashes of green on there before we leave Glenmont in the mornings.
  by tommyboy6181

Personally, I think that if Metro wants to improve the interior LEDs, they need to use them to their full extent. More messages, more information, and colors. I'm pretty sure that at least the Alstoms can do green as well as red, because I've seen flashes of green on there before we leave Glenmont in the mornings.
If the Alstoms can show green as well as red, then the CAF and rehabs should be able to as well because they all use the same exterior/interior LED signs made by SEPSA.

I agree that the signs should be used to the full extent. NYC on their R-142/142A, 143 and 160A/B cars I think does it best. An example of what Metro could do is:

RED LINE
[transition]
GLENMONT
[transition]
xx:xx AM or xx:xx PM
[transition]
THE NEXT STOP IS:
[transition]
METRO CENTER

Another example can be used to match station arrivals:

THIS IS:
[transition]
DUPONT CIRCLE
[transition]
>>>
[transition]

As long as we are at it, why not add automated announcements and sync them with the LED signs like NYC does. That would really make things clear and understandable. Some examples would be:

At a station stop:
"This is a Glenmont bound red line train. The next stop is Gallery Place-Chinatown."

Approaching station:
"This is Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan. Doors open right side."

Approaching transfer station:
"This is Metro Center. Doors open right side. (different voice) Transfer is available to Blue and Orange line trains on the lower level platform."

Approaching terminal station:
"This is Branch Ave. Doors open right side. (different voice) This is the last stop on this train. All passengers must exit at the platform as this train will be out of service. Thank you for riding the Washington Metro."

Also, each line could have its own voice for the station stop announcements to make it unique. However, I would be in favor of the Sandy Carroll door closing/opening announcements making their return, or at the very least getting rid of "...step back to allow customers to exit. When boarding, please move to the center of the car." That itself would be an improvement.
  by Robert Paniagua

Or How about like Boston (Red Line 01800s, Green Line Type 7/8s, and Blu Line Siemens 0700s) They announce like this WMATA station wise:

train about to enter the station

"Entering.......Grosvenor-Strathmore, doors open on your left"

when doors open "Grosvenor-Strathmore....the destination of this train is Shady Grove"

train departs station

"Next Stop, White Flint"

And upon entering terminal station,

"Entering Shady Grove, doors open on your right, last stop, thank you for riding Metrorail, don't forget your belongings"

this is another way of doing aoutomatic stop announcements on Metro.