Railroad Forums 

• Questions re: Connex

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#140375  by jg greenwood

This company is supposedly slated to replace Amtrak as the Metrolink operator in the Los Angeles area.
  1. Anyone have any clue as to how they are to work for?
  2. Do they contribute to R.R. retirement?
  3. Are their wages comparable to Amtrak?
  4. Union/non-union?
  5. Other commuter-ops in the US? If so, what's their track record?
I appreciate any information.

#140393  by octr202

5. Other US operation is Mass. Bay Commuter Rail (MBTA contract-Boston). Replaced Amtrak there as well. Hired some former Amtrak managers, as well as bulk of the operating crafts. Some of the regular "professional railfans/railfan professionals" on here have experience with them.

4. Unionized at MBCR, per guidelines of the MBTA contract.

#140405  by Irish Chieftain

No other commuter rail ops in the USA that I know of. They do operate bus routes under contract to New Jersey Transit; don't know about elsewhere.

What irks me is that they are the operator of the Luas light rail in Dublin, Ireland. (Part of having French consultants work on that project, I suppose.)

#140430  by David Benton

they have taken over the commuter trains in auckland , New Zealand as well .
i havent heard how the staff relations are going . I have heard that the service has improved since they took over .
i Believe they run services in melbourne , Australia , as well .

#140490  by AmtrakFan

Mr. Greenwood,
With the Metrolink contracts they have to hornor the Amtrak agreements.

#140534  by jg greenwood

I appreciate the info guys!

#140560  by Irish Chieftain

Over on the MBTA forum last year, I heard horror stories about four-car commuter trains operating at rush-hour, and a high inventory of equipment OOS as the excuse by Connex. Don't know if anything's improved since then.

#141118  by octr202

Irish,

The tales of the incredible shrinking train consist seem to reoccur every 4-6 months here in MBTA land, usually either in mid-winter (cold and snow problems) or early summer (AC start up season).