Railroad Forums 

• Question about feasibility of ameristarrail’s plan

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1572930  by roavabees

I know their plans seem rather pie in the sky and not likely to happen as far as them running Amtrak’s NEC. I am wondering about the logistics of Amtrak doing some of it. From NY PENN to D.C. there are no rail crossings, a few between Boston and NY, and some private one on the Harrisonburg line. But what about the line from Penn to Albany and beyond. I believe there are a bunch on the DC to Richmond line. I would think most of those would have to be eliminated to run the schedule they suggest. Also can a train from Harrisonburg head South to DC through Philly?
What about Albany to Jamaica station? Albany to DC would have to pull in and backout Could trains really run every half hour, hour etc. it would seem that with the choke points of bridges and tunnels this would be difficult. What kind of trains would they need to run on diesel , catenary and third rail. Something like NJT runs? I know most of the ideas would be costly, but could you imagine a true capitol service connecting Boston, Albany, Harrisonburg, and Richmond. Hell if we are going to dream, add Harford in there as well. Any tell me what could or couldn’t work as far as running their suggested lines,
 #1572934  by electricron

roavabees wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:32 pm What kind of trains would they need to run on diesel , catenary and third rail. Something like NJT runs?
I know most of the ideas would be costly, but could you imagine a true capitol service connecting Boston, Albany, Harrisonburg, and Richmond. Hell if we are going to dream, add Harford in there as well. Any tell me what could or couldn’t work as far as running their suggested lines.
In theory, every station in your list could have one seat train rides between them. You mentioned the limitations on why they are not; not every line uses the same power and locomotive types.
Boston to DC could use electric locomotives that can swap almost on the fly between 25 KV 60 Hz, 12 KV 60 Hz, and 12 KV 25 Hz. No third rail 750 VDC (0 Hz) brushes needed. Additionally, Providence, Trenton, Harrisburg state capitals are also connected to the NEC power. Hartford, Albany, Concord, Montpelier, Dover, Annapolis, Richmond, and Raleigh are the state capitals that require diesel locomotives.

Amtrak could run a train directly between each of these capitals directly if it so wish. But why should they?
Railroads tracks are laid in linear corridors, just run the trains all the way on them and stop at all the stations along the way gives a one seat ride the length of the corridor. Using the stations along the way, you can transfer trains to go in directions off the NEC, towards Harrisburg, Hartford, and Albany on trains with locomotives that can run on these branch lines. NEC trains reaching Boston can have a one seat ride to Virginia - but not North Carolina. NEC reaching New York City can reach North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and West Virginia.
Should Amtrak run long distance trains from Boston to New Orleans? Why? Get off a NEC train in New York City and transfer to the Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, Cardinal, Pennsylvanian, and Carolinian.
Why do so many Amtrak trains start and end their runs in New York City? Just check out the passenger ridership data will answer it properly.
From https://www.railpassengers.org/resource ... tatistics/
NEC Regional
NYP = 5,352,773
BOS = 970,640
Acela
NYP = 2,565,274
BOS = 574,368
That should be more than enough to prove my point, let's not include the long distance ridership data.
Total NYP = 7,918,047
Total BOS = 1,545,008
Some more math = 7918047 / 1545008 = 5.125
Yes, NYP has at least 5 times more riders than Boston.
 #1572962  by Pensyfan19

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:15 am It has been frequently mentioned that Coast Guard operating schedules for drawbridges prevent
New England-Florida through service.
How many drawbridge are there along the line that would prevent this service?

As for Ameristarrail, I can see why some doubt it's success since they're asking for control over the Northeast Corridor, or the crown jewel of Amtrak's service. However, other corridors which connect to the NEC such as the Empire and Keystone corridors could be handled well by this company and others like it. Some nearby examples listed on Amtrak's connect us map which come to mind include NY to Scranton, and outside of that could by NY to Buffalo via Allentown, Philly to Pittsburgh, and Boston to Montreal.
 #1572980  by Arlington

Connecticut has given Amtrak 2 slots per hour. Basically one Acela and one other train (NER, Vermonter)