Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1339278  by Passenger

That is, the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I suppose I hadn't been paying attention before, but I noticed someone getting on the Blue Line at Clark and Lake in a wheelchair. It was necessary for the motorman to hand carry a ramp for the person to get on the train.

Is this considered fully compliant, or is it just an interim measure?

I was under the impression that high platform train entry is supposed to be "no barriers" compliant. That is, a person in a wheelchair could just get on anywhere on the train when the doors were open. As it is (for example) to use the elevators down to the platform.
 #1339562  by Backshophoss

A portable ramp is part of the ADA package,carried on the train/transit cars,most commuter rail lines and Amtrak.
For Buses,the on board wheelchair lift replaces the ramp.
Not all wheelchairs are the classic Big wheel.small wheel,there are some travel chairs/walkers that are all small wheeled
that will fall thru the gap between platform/car floor,the ramp is needed to cover that gap.

The ramp is used at Amtrak's low platform stations to span the gap from the lift floor to the car floor.