Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1587570  by krispy

Queens is an interlocking east of Jamaica on the Mainline, which used to be a tower within sight of Queens Village station. Operator Queens controls the interlockings at Hollis, Queens, Bellerose and Floral Park, which may or may not be called Queens 1,2,3 and 4. In that mess is also the West and East legs of the Belmont Wye.

It's in the spotlight these days mostly because of the new third track on the Mainline, which will diverge just east of Floral Park, and also they're adding more capability to get into and out of Belmont from both directions. It will be a huge game changer for operations once it opens up.
 #1587595  by spokes32

What does this work entail besides some new crossovers to allow the Belmont moves? Will the existing signal towers be removed?
 #1587601  by freightguy

I think that interlocking was redone only like 15 years back. I'm assuming that was the last set of new position light signals that went up on LIRR? It's a shame you know the subway tri-color light style signals will be replacing those.
 #1587637  by Head-end View

Queens Interlocking was last rebuilt in 2008 if memory serves. That included high-speed (60mph) crossovers and new signal bridges with position-light signals.

Re: the current work: I think there will also be new switches at the east end of Floral Park Station where the new third track begins.

And I can't envision the whole Queens Interlocking complex with just those ridiculous dwarf signals now being installed on the Main-Line with the Third Track Project. I hope LIRR uses full-size signals for this area.
 #1587646  by nyandw

Floral Park station. This is looking west at Queens 4 Interlocking, a single trailing point crossover with four signals. I believe next month this crossover will be replaced with a facing point one. That will enable (after completion of the section of Main Line third track from Floral Park to Mineola) eastbound Main Line trains that stop at Elmont to proceed east. 10/24/2021 Photo/Info: Jeff Erlitz

M7 7696 (Bombardier Transportation, 7/2006) heads one of the MLX extras as train #9750 from Penn Station to Hempstead through Queens 4 Interlocking. The skies were getting darker by the minute at this point, around 1 PM. Makes for better signal images, though! 10/24/2021
 #1588638  by Head-end View

That last photo is excellent! M7 train, pedestal type signal and full-size position-light signal showing clear under perfect lighting conditions. Really good photo.