Railroad Forums 

• Quakertown Extension

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1272078  by Clearfield

Suburban Station wrote:it does seem that if the tunnel is the prime reason not to go to quakertown then perkasie rather than penn ridge makes the most sense
No, the 'customer' (Bucks County) doesn't want the product (the extension) and will not pay for it (via county operating subsidies). This isn't rocket science ya know, its supply and demand. LOL
 #1272148  by 25Hz

Well, perhaps things will change come november.
 #1272164  by Push&Pull Master

SCB2525 wrote:I don't disagree but why can't you have both a station south of 309 and one at the former Perkasie station site? There's plenty of room for additional parking there.
I feel like there is a mentality to put a park and ride at the end of a rail line/rail extension so that there will be a large capacity parking facility for riders north of the line. Maybe SEPTA/DVRPC is worried that Perkasie residents won't use a Perkasie station due to lack of parking there and use the Pennridge station anyway. Or maybe it's just to save costs.
 #1272464  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:Well, perhaps things will change come november.
None of the Bucks County Commissioners are up for election in November.

Why might things change come November?
 #1272673  by Suburban Station

Clearfield wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:it does seem that if the tunnel is the prime reason not to go to quakertown then perkasie rather than penn ridge makes the most sense
No, the 'customer' (Bucks County) doesn't want the product (the extension) and will not pay for it (via county operating subsidies). This isn't rocket science ya know, its supply and demand. LOL
then kill the extension though it seems obvious the customers (riders) want more regional rail service
 #1272720  by Clearfield

Suburban Station wrote:then kill the extension though it seems obvious the customers (riders) want more regional rail service
Montco WANTS the extension.
 #1272827  by Tritransit Area

Clearfield wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:The terminus of which you speak is short of Pennridge I believe. I have no idea where Derstines is but Google Maps suggests it is at PA 309 at PA 152 in Sellersville. Does anyone have a link to the study which illustrates this cut back plan?
Montco does care about the project. The official terminus is currently planned as Pennridge. Bucks county commissioners couldn't care less about the extension and thus don't want to pay for it.

The line will be electrified and fed from the new sub at Lansdale and potentially a second sub at Pennridge.
Why wouldn't they care as it's designed to benefit their constituents that currently fight for parking at Lansdale/Colmar?
 #1272858  by bikentransit

The model of counties having to buy into projects is exactly why nothing gets done, or the wrong things get done. Where else is this done? In any case, what we have here is Bucks County getting a free ride with an extension that comes closer to their border without having crossed it.
 #1272942  by Suburban Station

bikentransit wrote:The model of counties having to buy into projects is exactly why nothing gets done, or the wrong things get done. Where else is this done? In any case, what we have here is Bucks County getting a free ride with an extension that comes closer to their border without having crossed it.
indeed though this makes more sense than the idea that quakertown couldnt get federal funding. chester county wont pay for west chester despjte the fact its clearly a place people live or go to. the current system in sepa is broken. worse it seems likely chesco and montco pay a lot of state taxes , lokely far more than they get back.
 #1272985  by 25Hz

This is why i've been tooting the "SEPTA needs to be replaced" horn for about 2 years solid now.

RRD managed by DOT, bus, trolley, trolley bus, subway in the city get separated from buses that serve outside the city, make that part of the DOT system. Put all funding at the state level and remove the ridiculous political bafoonery that "regional" operating agency has incited.

PennRail, PennBus, CityTransit Bus, CityTransit Rail.

SEPTA was a patch to begin with to figure out how to keep the trains running in light of the freight railroads getting out of the passenger business. Time to update with a permanent solution.
 #1272992  by scotty269

25Hz wrote:This is why i've been tooting the "SEPTA needs to be replaced" horn for about 2 years solid now.

RRD managed by DOT, bus, trolley, trolley bus, subway in the city get separated from buses that serve outside the city, make that part of the DOT system. Put all funding at the state level and remove the ridiculous political bafoonery that "regional" operating agency has incited.

SEPTA was a patch to begin with to figure out how to keep the trains running in light of the freight railroads getting out of the passenger business. Time to update with a permanent solution.
Have you attended a YAC or CAC meeting in the past two years?
 #1273074  by 25Hz

scotty269 wrote:
25Hz wrote:This is why i've been tooting the "SEPTA needs to be replaced" horn for about 2 years solid now.

I've answered this several times before. It's not worth the 7-8 hour trip.
 #1273202  by scotty269

25Hz wrote:
scotty269 wrote:

I've answered this several times before. It's not worth the 7-8 hour trip.
Uh huh, okay then.
bikentransit wrote:CAC is a toothless puppet of SEPTA that chats about nonsense and gets little done in terms of real reform.
What in particular leads you to this?
 #1273231  by 25Hz

Plan a trip to center city from newtown and back. factor in time for meeting & lunch & walking.

Not worth it.