Railroad Forums 

• PVL passing sidings/off-peak trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#463487  by Steve F45

teterboro would be the only problem double tracking from wher it goes to single at woodridge. If they could double track it there, you could run it all the way to river edge. Essex street could be done since there is that siding there, i think the parking lot across from the station to the east is for commuters. you could probably make a platform there.

Anderson street would be tight, since where the old row for the double track is now commuter parking. North hackensack if you drive over the crossing there and look towards the station you can see the old curbs for the original platform on the east side.

river edge would be the most probalmatic. you would lose nearly half the parking spots taht are there. and there isn't much room to expand parking it looks like from google earth. if river edge wasn't a problem you could double track the entire line from the BCL interchange in rutherford all the way to emerson.

#463510  by northjerseybuff

Wasn't the entire line double tracked under Erie? There was a yard in Hillsdale until the 70s/80s..its now where the Kings supermarket is

#463655  by RichM

Back your date up a bit... I worked in Hillsdale at the Stop and Shop, 73-74, and the stores were already well established there. There was a team track just north of Hillsdale Avenue though.

#463691  by andy

Well, things seem to be picking up tonight.

I was just down at Nanuet for #2122 - there were a good 10 people or so taking the train from there, with 1 or 2 having already gotten on from Spring Valley.

It would have been 12 people, but two got there just after the train left - they thought the train departed about 20 after the hour (#2122 departs Nanuet 9 after the hour... compared to 12, 15, 24 and 20 minutes after the hour throughout the day). It's really too bad they can't make the times the same for each train.

#2122 arrived/departed Nanuet on-time and #2121 (the 6:17 p.m. arrival from Hoboken) also pulled in on-time. Good start and end for these two runs.

#463824  by wantsrail

The NJ&NY RR double tracking ended in Oradell. Last Sunday while riding near the Cab window I easily spotted the point where the ROW widens.

As for North Hackensack there is a curve north of the Station.

I can't remember if it was at Grand or Main streets or both.

Both tracks were banked, seperately. You had to drive over an "M" shaped conture. I did not dare to drive over the crossing faster than 35 mph. It was uncomfortable in my 1935 Ford and I did not want to stress the springs on the saw-tooth.

Putting a smooth double track road at that spot will not be easy.

#463833  by andy

Maybe someone who remembers can post more detail, but I know there used be a two-track crossing between Nanuet and Pearl River. I would also imagine that the RoW is wide enough for two tracks from just south of Pearl River and up until the single-track bridge before Spring Valley station (I believe that is a single-track bridge).

#463901  by njtmnrrbuff

I know that in Pearl River, there actually is another track, but it isn't used for NJT. I'm not really sure about double tracking between Pearl River and the Spring Valley area, because there are some areas without room for a second track. As you leave Pearl River on a northbound, as I remember, but I may be off a little, there are streets on both sides of the railroad, but it looks like the abandoned track that ends at Pearl River, and starts just south of the station could be used as a siding

#464275  by duey

andy wrote:Maybe someone who remembers can post more detail, but I know there used be a two-track crossing between Nanuet and Pearl River. I would also imagine that the RoW is wide enough for two tracks from just south of Pearl River and up until the single-track bridge before Spring Valley station (I believe that is a single-track bridge).
The only double track crossing in that area was where the tracks cross Central Avenue and E. Jefferson Avenue in Pearl River. And that second track, now truncated well before Central Avenue, was always an industrial siding.

#464285  by SecaucusJunction

I found myself in Hackensack yesterday needing to go to NYC for a show. I was able to live with the time going in (an hour earlier than I hoped because of a 2 hour gap in the afternoon) but when the show was scheduled to end at 9:30 and the NYP trains leaving at 9:13 and 11:13, I opted to drive back to Plauderville and take the Bergen Line train. I got back a full hour ahead of when I would have if I took the train to Hackensack. These gaps during the evening and afternoon are the reason this service will never be what it could be. Remember how low Main and Bergen Line weekend ridership was when they didnt have hourly service on those routes?

#464402  by Bay Head Local

Why do some trips end/originate in North Hackensack?

#464425  by psct29

The NJ towns North of Hackensack were the ones who sued NJT over the project...so Hackensack and south got extra service because of the missing siding north of there. Also the same reason why there are some express trains that run from NY State to North Hackensack as well.
 #467942  by tdring

For Sirsonic (or anyone who might know): I am trying to keep my copy of the NJT's Physical Characteristics and Territorial Maps updated, and wanted to ask what the milepost locations (start to end of siding) and lengths of the new sidings are. Thanks!

#468375  by mainetrain

The morning of Thursday November 8th found the track crew putting the finishing touches on the New Kuiken siding/ switches

and as it looks today

#468403  by duey

Very nice work...both the pictures and the track work. And the track word was completed pretty quickly too.

#468751  by andy

On Sunday, November 11, I took the PVL train into Secaucus for the conenction to EWR. I took the train departing at 2:20 p.m.

The construction that I noted earlier did not seem to be occuring anymore (maybe because it was not a weekday). We were right on time into Secaucus - and was able to make the first westbound (the NJCL) train from Secaucus.

I live a few blocks from the Nanuet train station, and can clearly hear the engine whistles daily. For the last several days, they have been very close to schedule. It looks like they are getting things up and running pretty well at this point.

What amazed me were the number of passengers. We had probably a total of about 45 passengers throughout the entire trip. Not all going to/from Hoboken or Secaucus/NYP either. Many intra-line passengers.

NJ Transit is offering free-rides on the Pascack Valley Line (one adult with a full-fare adult, excluding Nanuet, Pearl River and Spring Valley) on December 1, 2, 8 and 9.

The survey for the free coupon is available here:
http://survey.njtransit.com/TakeSurvey. ... ID=88KIn56

P.S. In both the MilePosts West and the NJ Transit Thanksgiving Day holiday reminders, they BOTH remind customers on the PVL that we now have "weekend and holiday" service. It's good for them - the more the remind people, the better it will be.