Railroad Forums 

• PVL passing sidings/off-peak trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#461400  by Jtgshu

blockline4180 wrote:
with a VERY smoky PL42 pushing.

Those engines smoke more then any other revenue engine type that NJT operates!! I thought they were supposed to have less exhaust?? My train usually has a PL42 every morning and the train sometimes smokes like an old E8 as it accelerates out of Denville.

Back to the PVL line, it looks like I won't get to ride the weekend service until November 10th the earliest.
but its a healthy smoke :-)

#461408  by blockline4180

True true.... :wink: :-D

#461446  by BlockLine_4111

Has this new service created new jobs or added some over time to the payrolls?

O/T I think NJT would be better off with F59PH's than these GE lemons.

#461450  by blockline4180

O/T I think NJT would be better off with F59PH's than these GE lemons.

Mike,

I was talking about the EMD/Alstom PL42's smoking it up, NOT the GE P40's.

AFAIK, the F59PHI's are too tall to fit anywhere in NY Penn or the tunnels so the possibility of using them are out. I don't even think they fit in Hoboken either!

#461556  by lancer

Hi all

I took the 2108 from River Edge yesterday. Returned on 2117, which left Hoboken at 3.20pm.

Got a bit angry though as the PVL trains were not listed on the board or monitors and ended up missing 2115, the 2.20 pm train as I was sent to the wrong track. Other than that the ride was good and got to view the work on the Meadowslands spur.

Regards

Lancer

#461707  by andy

Wow, I'm shocked.

NJ Transit went all-out and created a special "info site" for the expanded PVL service. (http://www.njtransit.com/pvl/).

It would have been great for this to be up and running last week, but late is better than never. Pretty impressive.

#461740  by Steve F45

Jtgshu wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:
with a VERY smoky PL42 pushing.

Those engines smoke more then any other revenue engine type that NJT operates!! I thought they were supposed to have less exhaust?? My train usually has a PL42 every morning and the train sometimes smokes like an old E8 as it accelerates out of Denville.

Back to the PVL line, it looks like I won't get to ride the weekend service until November 10th the earliest.
but its a healthy smoke :-)
should've seen 4110 when it was pulling 4008 and the rest of the mainline train at around 1015pm on thursday. whewwww, the amount that remained under secaucus and in the air.

#461785  by geoffand

andy wrote:Wow, I'm shocked.

NJ Transit went all-out and created a special "info site" for the expanded PVL service. (http://www.njtransit.com/pvl/).

It would have been great for this to be up and running last week, but late is better than never. Pretty impressive.
Look at the typos on that flash page! Uncapitalized first words of a sentence in the body text. "An" instead of "and."

I hope they didn't pay an outside firm for that work...

#461924  by duey

If anyone is in the neighborhood of Nanuet, then make your way to the Convent Road grade crossing just south of the Nanuet Station. Here one can see the Pond siding, and if timed right, an east and a west bound side by side (I saw 1626 and 1613 this way yesterday). There's an area big enough to pull over to the west of the tracks and then you can walk up to the crossing.

#461937  by blockline4180

should've seen 4110 when it was pulling 4008 and the rest of the mainline train at around 1015pm on thursday. whewwww, the amount that remained under secaucus and in the air.

Nah, I don't get that lucky! :wink:

Besides, it always seems most of the double headed, MUed, whatever its called, action are on the Erie side.. The last double headed revenue set I saw were 2 ALP44's in Dover.

#461947  by Steve F45

it was pretty cool. Strange though, the 4110 was leading with HEP, and the PL42AC was still running and mu'd for power aswell, but no hep.

#462299  by mainetrain

Steve F45 wrote: Maybe they are extending the kuiken bros siding so the NS has somewhere to go to get out of the way when a offpeak NJT is approaching.
This makes sense. The siding has been extended south from the Kuiken switch to Lincoln Blvd. I'll post a pic soon

#462645  by andy

NJ Transit needs to get their systems in order, and SOON. It is unacceptable that train boards at Hoboken did not have the Sunday departures.

On 10/30, NJ Transit canceled the late-night Hoboken train, and forgot to tell customers. There is no acceptable reason for why it was "left off" the automated system (speaking of which, I did not get ANY e-mails regarding any delayed trains yesterday... so I wonder if they forgot them all!)

Journal News Article
NJ Transit today apologized to a handful of riders who weren't notified that a 9 p.m. New Jersey-bound train from Spring Valley had been cancelled last night and replaced by a shuttle bus, which was running 45 minutes late.
NJ Transit spokesman Dan Stessel said the rail service didn't have the trains or the crew to begin the 9:10 p.m. run from Spring Valley, so it provided bus service instead. Because the off-peak service started last Sunday, Stessel said the train was not on the list that would have triggered automated public address announcements at the station or alerts to riders who subscribe to NJ Transit's e-mail or cell phone service.
"Because it's a new train, they just weren't looking for it," Stessel said this afternoon. "They certainly know to track it now."

#462710  by duey

There are definitely some "growing pains" associated with the new service.

Yesterday, I took the 12:40 pm departure from Hoboken (1613). We had to sit on the Teterboro siding for about 10 minutes while we waited for 1624 to pass through. Then, as we approached Nanuet, I saw 1626 sitting on the Pond siding (making it already about 15 minutes late). A note on the NJT board about 30 minutes later indicated that 1626 was 20 minutes late at Anderson Street.

This is a problem clearly related to the lack of a siding in Oradell. A significant delay can build between Pond and North Hack or Teterboro, and as a result, someone is going to be sitting on a siding for a long time. I'm not sure if tweaking the schedule can fix this.
 #462745  by mainetrain

Progress with new switch at Kuiken and south to Lincoln 10/31/07