Railroad Forums 

• Putnam Division & Branches: Getty Square, Mohansic, Saw Mill

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#270508  by Otto Vondrak

Anyone have a copy of Stauffer's NYC Steam Power who can help answer my question regarding the tank engines used on the Yonkers Branch? There were two builders, Rogers in the 1880s, and Alco-Brooks in 1912. The Alco's replaced the Rogers engines. Of course, all steam was banished from the Yonkers Branch when they electrified in 1926.
 #270537  by RussNelson

exploreabandonedrr wrote:I never would have imagined railroad rails had been used in concrete.
They re-roll it into rebar-diameter rods.
 #271091  by exploreabandonedrr

Dear all-

I received this message from a Kraft "Consumer Affairs" representative:

"Thank you for contacting us however, I would like to obtain more information about your inquiry. I am a bit confused as to what you are asking. Thank you for being a Stella D'oro loyal consumer. If you should have and questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us."

Was my July 18th message that hard to understand? I think Kraft is located in Rye Brook, so she may not have heard of this facility. Or did Stella D'Oro's facility close (I haven't lived in the NYC area in almost 4 years- YIKES!)?

Charles

#271275  by Otto Vondrak

Charles, you're wasting your time talking to corporate. The last delieveries to the Stella D'Oro plant in the Bronx were sometime around 1991 or so, we mentioned that on this thread eariler.

-otto-
 #271333  by exploreabandonedrr

Otto-

You're probably right, but I thought I would give it a shot. I looked through this thread and believe it said mid-80s but I could be wrong. A decade after removal of the tracks it would not surprise me no-one working at Stella D'oro knows the "Old Put." Why did they pave-over it with asphalt?

Here is a repeated question- how many people would like to initiate a campaign to bring back the Putnam Division (with some modifications)? I recognize I am aspiring for the near-impossible, and most of you have a lot of more knowledge and experience than I, but could we plan-it-out?

I want to discuss this in greater length at a later time, and wonder if a new topic thread should be created specifically for this purpose (and where?).

Charles
Otto Vondrak wrote:Charles, you're wasting your time talking to corporate. The last delieveries to the Stella D'Oro plant in the Bronx were sometime around 1991 or so, we mentioned that on this thread eariler.

-otto-

#271342  by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:Charles, you're wasting your time talking to corporate. The last delieveries to the Stella D'Oro plant in the Bronx were sometime around 1991 or so, we mentioned that on this thread eariler.

-otto-
Otto, I think it might have been earlier than 1991, I was working a Metro-
North Hudson job during a good part of 1987 and it seems to me that the
only use of the tracks at BN were for work trains and work equipment.
I would think that it was more likely in the early to mid 1980's.
Noel Weaver

#271466  by NYC-BKO

I remember switching it in early 81 then was laid off till 82 and worked the commuter lines till 88 when I went back to Conrail and we didn't switch in then, so it was before 88.
 #271727  by R Paul Carey

Otto, you had asked about the Yonkers Branch engines, 2-4-4 (Class D)- specifically, had any of these engines been used on the B&A?

So far as I have been able to determine, these engines were never operated on the B&A.

#271742  by DutchRailnut

The switch for Stella D Oro was near tennis courts north of Marble hill, it was removed in 1991 or 1990, I don't know when it was last used for deliberies but 1988 may sound right.
Yes the track at BN was only used for MNCR work equipment

#274224  by Otto Vondrak

Mr. Carvey- perhaps what I read was that these engines were similar to the ones that were being used in Boston suburban service. I obviously need to check my sources. Time is fading my memory! (See my earlier post- I thought some of the Put F-12's came from the U&D purchase in 1932)

Charles- I am sorry to report that the Putnam Division is not coming back for rail use. At least not here in the New York Central forum!

-otto-
 #275284  by exploreabandonedrr

Otto-

Sadly and probably true for eternity. Out of curiousity, if asphalt was paved around the rails (like the rails which trolley-cars ride on) like a street, could a commuter train have run on those rails? How fast could a light rail train run?

I recognize the MU's would require a custom fit trucks to run on those rails, but I was just curious. This way a bicyclist would be less likely to get into an accident when biking on the rails- tires may be less likely to get stuck if it rolled into the grove, in comparison to a tire running into a raised rail. I have other ideas to solve problems resulting from a shared rail-trail path.

Just a thought,

Charles
Otto Vondrak wrote:Charles- I am sorry to report that the Putnam Division is not coming back for rail use. At least not here in the New York Central forum! -otto-

#275302  by pennsy

Hi All,

One does not ride a bicycle between the rails. One rides a bike alongside the rails, near the curb or by the parked cars. Safety first. I have even ridden a Schwinn Black Panther (still have that bike) on Belgian Blocks. Gives the shock absorbers a workout, but you get where you are going.
 #275317  by exploreabandonedrr

Alan-

You are correct if you have an incredibly active railway.

However, since the Old Put never carried a lot of passenger traffic (prior to 1958), and probably wouldn't have much passenger demand on weekends and 10-4 week days (when I believe most people use the trail) currently, then people riding bikes on weekends would be safe. There would be no train to look-out for. Make sense?

Why does that famous scene from the movie <i>Stand By Me</i> appear in my mind, when I think of people traveling by foot along the tracks? TRAAAAAIN!

Charles
pennsy wrote:Hi All,

One does not ride a bicycle between the rails. One rides a bike alongside the rails, near the curb or by the parked cars. Safety first. I have even ridden a Schwinn Black Panther (still have that bike) on Belgian Blocks. Gives the shock absorbers a workout, but you get where you are going.

#276477  by Paul1705

Does anybody know how much ridership the division had in its final years?

Also, what kind of passenger schedule was operated? Was it mostly a rush hour operation?

Put

#276479  by Tom Curtin

I imagine New York State Public Service Commission filings are archived someplace which would answer that question in detail. The elimination of service on The Put was a long process before NYC was finally able to pull it off.