Railroad Forums 

• PRR General Chronology by Christopher T. Baer

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1341729  by philipmartin

Here's a fact sheet for 1955 that I came across. I'll put this on the PRR forum, but there are items concerning what is now NJT.
http://www.prrths.com/newprr_files/Hagley/PRR1955.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Jan. 6, 1955 PRR directs Lester C. Tichy to plan for increased ventilation so that it can use
diesel locomotives in a rebuilt Penn Station." I wonder what came of that idea?

"Jan. 1955 NYC announces it will apply to end commuter service on the West Shore
(River Division)." I don't remember exactly when, but New York State refused the NYC permission to discontinue passenger service, and New Jersey gave the railroad permission to quit. So the NYC ran passenger service in New York as far as the state border, and the passengers got off there.
Passenger trains were still running on the West Shore when I worked there in 1956, and so was the Weehwken terminal and ferry service. I used to look at the passenger trains and they were empty. HBLR territory now.

"Jan. 12, 1955 PRR announces it will remove Princeton yards, previously used for football
specials and single-track the Princeton Branch, as they now only run three or
four trains from New York to football games; in 1920s, ran up to 44 trains."

"Jan. 14, 1955 J.H. Fitzsimmons, engineer of The Broker in the 1951 crash, sues PRR for
$250,000 damages, claiming PRR failed to properly indicate reduced speed." The Woodbridge wreck. The rules called for a yellow speed limit sign, but they didn't usually put them up on that branch. Fitzsimmons had a slow order.

"Jan. 23, 1955 Improved ticket bureau opens on north side of Main Waiting Room at 30th
Street Station; includes "Ticketeers" installed in 1954 and other
improvements; can deliver a Pullman ticket in one minute, vs. up to one hour
for old system; Penn Station is three times as busy as 30th Street, so will need
more advanced machinery." Interesting for me because I used the "Ticketeers" in Penn Station New York in 1956, and again in 1983, when Transit rail started. By then the "Ticketeers" were somewhat worn out.

"July 6, 1955 Through New York-Atlantic City service cut to the single round trip of the
Nellie Bly."
Here's talk about "Nelly" on rr.net 2007-2011:
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=sea ... +nelly+bly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Oct. 1, 1955 Last run of "Pony Express" race track extras between New York and Atlantic City Race Track."

Photos: wreck of the "Nelly Bly" on the Bordentown Branch in 1901, from "Archival Ramblings."