Railroad Forums 

• Privately Owned Railroads

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#503163  by EverybodysFine

Hey, I'm new to the forum and know nothing about trains and railways.
I'm working on a film production and we're trying to find privately owned railroads on which to shoot the first week of March. Does anyone know how I can get a hold of a list of privately owned railways in Ohio, or even in the US?
Thanks!

#503295  by VITO

Years ago in an Areosmith video they use Mcloud river RR i think its called. Also maybe RJ Corman might be privately owned. You might try Toledo Lake Erie and Western passenger train in Grand Rapids Ohio.

#503337  by railohio

You might also want to inquire through a trade group instead of a bunch of railfans, too. Something about "right from the horse's mouth"...

~BS

#503401  by EverybodysFine

great what kind of "trade group"? that's the information i'm looking for...thanks for all the assistance, i'll check out the aerosmith tip.
we are talking to amtrak, but i wanted to see what other suggestions there would be out there, as they're not privately owned, thanks again for the advice!

#503531  by railohio

The American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association for starters...

#503666  by Otto Vondrak

If you're looking for railroads specific to Ohio, you might also want to check with Ohio DOT:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/ohiorail/

First week of March might not be enough time to set up a shoot on a railroad, whether publicly traded or privately held. Is that what you mean by a privately-owned railroad?

-otto-