Railroad Forums 

• Private Crossing Sign

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#1246442  by rob216

Not sure if this is the right place for this. But I have just gotten a private crossing sign that came from the Reading Railroad. Does anyone know what the correct coloring is for the sign. I have seen pictures of black lettering with a white background or white lettering with a black background. Here is a link to the sign that I own.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/231 ... M00021.jpg
 #1248138  by Franklin Gowen

Hello, Rob. Nice find you have there! :-)

I wasn't too optimistic, but I made the effort of thoroughly checking my 1922 Philadelphia & Reading operating department rulebook. There is no mention of such a sign, or what its period appearance would have been. I wish I knew the correct color scheme, too - good luck.
 #1250523  by glennk419

Rob, great acquisition. Most of the cast iron signs I seem to recall were black with white lettering. The exceptions would have been the public grade crossbucks and associated signage which were black on white, station signs (white on blue) and oval close clearance, etc which were black on yellow.