• Erie coal bunker in East Buffalo (picture)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Railroaded

I've never seen or head of this coal bunker before, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist in Buffalo. I'd have to say that it's from some other town, but I could be wrong.

The Erie had yards all over the place but somewhere around SK yard would be my guess, if it's in Buffalo. -B in B

by MarkT

Sure doesn't look familiar, even from 1980, especially something that size. There's nothing in the picture's background either that you could identify. Sort of resembles the Salamanca Erie yards tower

by nydepot

Too many buildings on the horizon for Salamanca, I think.

Charles
  by jr

The Erie coal pocket in Salamanca consists of round concrete bins mounted on a sort of concrete platform. This photo is of an interesting and somewhat similar structure, but is not in Salamanca.

JR

by WNYRailfan

I asked this question about 3 years ago now on the old forums. I never printed out the answer, but from my memory...it was in the former Erie "food terminal" area. This was near where NY 354 and US 62 intersect. I never found out in what exact location it sat, but it was torn down in the mid 1980's. What a structure though...would have liked to have that in my back yard, especially with the ERIE engraved in the side.

by smph50

Hi Adam! If I'm not mistaken, this monster was about 1/2 mile back, on the now NS Southern Tier line, behind the Cheektowaga Fire Training Tower. Very near the intersection of Broadway and Union. I think there are remnats of the "legs" still there. It was about a mile east of Bison Yard. Dan, can you confirm this?

by SimTrains

Ya know what, I was driving by there yesterday, I saw some wierd concrete formations back there, and I wondered if that might have been it. Problem is there really isn't any way to get close to them, off of union road the closest place is the Cheektowaga transportation dept. which is gated off. On the other side of union road is Bison yard, and that entrance always has a cop parked at it. Anyone know of any other pictures of this coal tower? Maybe when it was in use?

By the way folks, here is a link to the page I got the image from, perhaps it will help?
http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/trainthu ... n/rroberts

by Railroaded

The foundations in Cheektowoga by the town highway department are from a HUGE coal trestle made of wood and concrete that dates back the 1800's. I have a drawing of it and some newspaper clippings on it from a few years ago.

-B in B

by SST

Back maybe 5 years ago or so when I "first discovered" the concrete structures east of Union Rd, I was told that they were LVRR's coal Tipple. Those concrete structures are definitely not the same as the picture.

I would say that the Erie structure is pretty small as compared to the tipple. I too haven't found a way in there and probably won't especially in todays environment.