• Interesting 251 Engine News:

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by Paul

Just received word from a friend who is a VP at FM/Alco that two 12 cylinder 251 engines have been sold to the NRC for emergency power. Even better is they are Tier 2 emissions compliant!
  by Alcoman

I read that Paul on the FM/Alco website. It is good news! Now if we could see them going back into locomotives!
  by MEC407

What sorts of modifications were required in order to meet Tier 2? At the very least, they must be doing something to deal with smoke, or in more politically correct terms, particulate matter. :wink:
  by DutchRailnut

mainly injector timing , changed from Mechanical to EFI
  by D.Carleton

Paul wrote:Just received word from a friend who is a VP at FM/Alco that two 12 cylinder 251 engines have been sold to the NRC for emergency power. Even better is they are Tier 2 emissions compliant!
Okay, you had me scratching my head on this one. What would the NRC do with a 251-12? A giant paper weight? Now that I've read the news release the new prime movers are for a private company, Shaw AREVA MOX Services, LLC, for an expansion of the DOE's Savannah River site. Other than regulatory oversight the NRC has nothing to do with this.

As for the Tier 2 emissions compliance, to the best of my knowledge they have not adapted EFI to a 251 yet. When I went through Beliot three years ago they had just stopped a program to modify an O-P with EFI. Hopefully something is in the works.
  by Paul

OH well, I guess I am getting old and I misread it.
  by azadeh42

Research Wing of Indian Railways have rolled out EFI equipped Alco 16-251. The loco is undergoing field trials. SHP of this motor is 3,100 HP. This loco is also equipped with microprocessor controlled slip.