• Could "triple" stacking containters be feasible?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by GSC

Having hauled containers as 18-wheelers, having one evenly loaded and balanced can be a treat. There's no telling what all is in there, and asssuming it is evenly loaded can backfire. I would be concerned having three containers stacked, just due to top-heaviness.

An example of this was some years ago when I was in Port Jersey trying to find the container I was assigned to pick up. A yard goat took a 20' chassis over to the derrick, loaded a shorty container, drove the box to the receiving line, the goat dropped the trailer, and the box promptly flipped over onto its nose. Scary.
  by Cowford

Referring to the India story, unconventional container triple-stacking has already been done in the US. In the 90s, CH Robinson experimented with 6'4" high containers for hauling potatoes in a triple-stack arrangement. It obviously didn't catch on. I think only a handful of boxes were built... probably all scrapped by now.
  by Sir Ray

Apparently there are many concepts to deal with the 'shipping Empty Containers' issue, and none of them involve triple or quadruple or whatever stacking.
Instead, they involve the collapsible, stackable container:

Staxxon
FOLDX
CargoShell
Cutting Edge Folding/Stackable containers from India (home of the 'triple stacks')

There seems to be many more designs out there, but I'll leave it at those...