• UP Hiring Dispatchers???

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by dsptchr

Hey, just wondering if UP is hiring dispatchers and what is it like working for them. Right now I am a union dispatcher and I think I heard that the UP dispatching jobs are non union. Just looking for some advice because it would be a big career move and not to mention and big move out of state for my family. Thanks for the help!!
  by GOLDEN-ARM

look on the UP website, and/or ask in the employment section.
  by wpnofchc2002

I work as a dispatcher for the UP and I think it's a pretty good gig. While we are not union, we may not get paid quite as much as unionized dispatchers but there are other benefits. We get a company match 401k, entry into the UP's pension plan, etc. As I'm sure you're aware, when you first start out, after the six month training program, you work extra board, which can be difficult for some but it's not really that bad if you've worked shift before. Not sure else you're looking for but I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.
  by Gadfly

I wouldn't have minded working as a dispatcher back when, but I would have only done it either as a promotion out of a union craft or in a dedicated union to start with. Reason is, if I became "unpopular" (as it were) as a dispatcher, I could displace right back into craft and keep gittin' up! :)

GF
  by lakeshoredave

are all of the up dispatchers based out of omaha?
  by qboy

lakeshoredave wrote:are all of the up dispatchers based out of omaha?
Most dispatchers a based out of Omaha. But in certain high density, and busy terminals. There a dispatcher located in local command centers. Chicago, Roseville, LA area, and Spring Tx are a few I can recall off hand.