Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by keiichi902

Hello, I am trying to model CP GP30 #5000 and needed a reference shot of the rear of the unit. I was told that CP removed the number boards in the 80's on the long hood but can't seem to find any picture to prove or disprove this. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

by keiichi902

Thanks 2spot, thats all I needed to see.
  by grtnrthrn

I have 20+ photos of 5000 taken two days ago.
The views will show her as she was in the late '80s, albeit with a little more rust and peeled paint now. Let me know if you need any more detail shots.

by 2spot

Can you post them or link to someplace you can? I was hoping to see CP5000 preserved here in Victoria, but oh well...
  by grtnrthrn

2spot:
I think 5000 will be staying in Edmonton for the foreseeable future - plan a trip out here!! I have the photos on CD, so I'll see if my limited computer talents will allow me to somehow e-mail them to you or put them up somewhere for all to see.
I also have slides that I will see if I can afford to put onto CD from when we first bought her in 1998/99.
grtnrthrn

by 2spot

Hey, grtnrthrn. Last I heard CP5000 was stored at Walker yard. Has it been moved to The Alberta Railway Museum? Also, just out of my own dumb curiousity, isnt the museum mostly dedicated to CN/NAR equipment? How does the GP-30 fit in?
  by grtnrthrn

2spot:
She is now at ARM - I just spent the last three hours scraping the peeling paint in the cab, and found the answer to one of the questions I asked in a post regarding the original interior cab colour - I can confirm it was light grey - virtually the same as the exterior grey!!!
And yes, ARM is mainly CN/NAR, but don't forget that CP jointly owned NAR, and 5000 did spend some time on the Calgary-Edmonton run in the early 90s, so there is a connection. And she's sooooo good looking, which is reason enough!!!!
grtnrthrn :-D
  by twolfe

[quote="grtnrthrn"]
She is now at ARM - I just spent the last three hours scraping the peeling paint in the cab, >>snip<<

Hey grtnrthrn!!!
Keep your calender open and your phone on for when the sandblasting and masking starts to happen. Help will be needed on short notice.
(bring along your paint scraper too !!)
  by grtnrthrn

Does anyone have any in-cab shots of CP8200/CP5000, or details of builder's plate?