• Question on traffic/noise levels--Auburn ME

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Station Aficionado

This is a request for advice from those familiar with Pan Am's operation in the Auburn area. I will be in Maine in August, and will be spending a few days in the Auburn/Lewiston area. There's a motel just south of Auburn that's highly rated on TripAdvisor. I see on Google Maps, however, that it is very close to the PanAm line that runs (I think) from Auburn to Yarmouth (it's also pretty close to I-95). Is there a lot of traffic on that line, particularly at night? My concern is whether passing trains will make it difficult to sleep. Several years ago, I spent a night at the Hotel Brunswick in Kingman, AZ, right across the street from the BNSF mainline. Even with triple pane windows, sleep was pretty much impossible because of the constant passage of trains. I know the PanAm line doesn't have that level of traffic, but does it have enough to make other lodgings a better choice? Thanks for any light you can shine on this.
  by Tim Mullins

There are a couple of crossings there that they have to blow for...I'm assuming that you are staying at the hotel
next to the Irving station right off the turnpike?...The speeds for the trains are 10mph, so they are not flying through there...There is no set time when they go through...If you have the A/C going in your room, you really shouldn't have any trouble,if anything you will probably experience more noise from the truck traffic around the Irving station.
  by BM6569

I agree with Tim. You won't see many trains go through. I know people who have stayed there and really enjoyed it.

Warren
  by Station Aficionado

Thank you both for responding. Just to clarify, the motel is called the Sleepy Time Motel, a little southeast of Auburn, very near both the Turnpike and Rte. 202.
  by SLR 393

The motel is right next to Rumford Junction West, the turnout is right near the bridge. There is a grade crossing about 1/2 mile east (Hackett Road) and 1/2 mile west (Allied Road, looks like a driveway into Formed Fiber Tech and IP's box plant). Seems like only 1 or 2 trains run at night now through town anyway, its not a high traffic line. Sleep shouldn't be a problem. You can use the Danville Corner Road to get into Danville Junction the back way, and Hackett road is right up washington st. north. The SLR enginehouse is about a mile and a half from your motel as well. Not a lot of action, but if you have a scanner you can catch a 5 or 6 trains in a day between the two RRs.
  by Station Aficionado

SLR 393 wrote:The motel is right next to Rumford Junction West, the turnout is right near the bridge. There is a grade crossing about 1/2 mile east (Hackett Road) and 1/2 mile west (Allied Road, looks like a driveway into Formed Fiber Tech and IP's box plant). Seems like only 1 or 2 trains run at night now through town anyway, its not a high traffic line. Sleep shouldn't be a problem. You can use the Danville Corner Road to get into Danville Junction the back way, and Hackett road is right up washington st. north. The SLR enginehouse is about a mile and a half from your motel as well. Not a lot of action, but if you have a scanner you can catch a 5 or 6 trains in a day between the two RRs.
Thanks.