• Track map of Ogdensburg area

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by walterconklin

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has a map that shows the layout of the trackage that use exist on the Susquehanna Hanford Branch in the Ogdensburg area and would be willing to share the map with me. I have heard of "Historic Rails of the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad" and I hope to get the book as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Walter
  by BelDel Conductor

You may want to contact the Maywood Station guys, they have inventoried, cataloged, scanned and archived many old track maps of the NYSW, that's where the track book got its information
  by woodsie

A topographical map [from the 1940s/50s] of the area should show the track. The torn up
DL&W track from Franklin to Newton was still visible on a topo map from that era. The track
from Beaver Lake to the 'Burg was removed 10-20 years ago, I think. The NJZinc mill was serviced
by the NYS&W track leading to Franklin from the 'Burg. This was the former Hanford branch.
  by jwramc

Guys,

I'm a recent convert to NYS&W railfanning but have lived a mile north of Ogdensburg for 18 years, and the lost Hanford Branch's rails have been gone the entire time I've been here. However, I decided to see if I could figure out where those rails ran and, believe it or not, Google Maps solved the mystery! At a certain zoom level, they include property lines for many areas, and some very obvious narrow, curving property borders showed very clearly what is still considered railroad property, so I traced a red line on screen captures of their maps to create the attached map. I then drove and walked these areas and found the wood ties still exist in the locations that haven't been redeveloped, so they confirm the path I've indicated as being correct.

I hope this map helps, Walter.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.