• Who chooses what platform a train uses?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by BoilerBob

Who decides what platform a train uses? Is it the dispatcher or does a train have an assigned platform?
  by RearOfSignal

In larger terminals many trains regularly leave from the same platform. This can be for several reasons. Train length in accordance to platform length, signal circuit length at the platform, proximity to elevators for disabled passengers, to provide more expedient departures in conjunction with routing out of the terminal complex, tracks or platforms that are OoS. And then sometimes there no rhyme of reason at all. Delays and shortage in crews and equipment can change all of this. In short trains don't have assigned platforms but if everything runs smoothly usually arrive/depart from the same platform.
  by 2nd trick op

In the days before Amtrak, SEPTA and NJT, the Pennsylvania used to staff a "Train" or "Movement Director" (i can't be sure of the exact term) at major interlocking complexes like ZOO in Philadelphia and Towe "A" on the west side of Penn Station. These guys were essentially dispatchers within one tower, and made the decisions on indvidual moves. I have no reason to believe that the practice wasn't continued where warranted.

For a short time in 1995, I got the chance to spend some time at HUDSON Tower in Kearny, N. J. HUDSON was not as complicated a plant as those unfamiliar with the area might have expected, controlling only three pairs of manual block signals and some storage tracks used for M?W equipment and possible stacking of MU moves during an emergency.

But one of the principal duties of the op at HUDSON was to count the cars on eash eastbound move into Penn Station, This information was then transferred to an official at the Penn Station Control Center (PSCC), who then used it in determining which track to assign to an incoming move, (PSCC had replaced Tower "A" by that time and the limited length of some platforms at Penn Station mandated considerable care in determining just where suitable platform capacity was available).
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Jtgshu

the duty of Hudson Tower has been transfered to Dock tower now (Dock now controls Hudson and Rea interlockings - which was formally all Hudson interlocking and does the same thing with keeping track of Hudson Yard)

NJT North Jersey Coast Line trains contact Union Tower when they "call on" to Amtrak and give him their consist - the lead number and the number of cars on the train

Amtrak and NJT Northeast Corridor trains contact Dock tower with their loco number of cars

NJT Midtown Direct trains contact Amtrak Section A dispatcher with their loco and number of cars

While especially in NY Penn, Amtrk and NJT trains don't really have assigned tracks other than making sure trains that are going through to Sunnyside yard get put on a track that is a run through track (tracks 1-4 are not, they are stub ended). Also, some of hte longer trains cannot fit on certain tracks or you can get 2 short trains on one track.

Its a bit of a chess game, and they usually do a pretty good job, but sometimes things don't work "as intended".

LIRR in Penn Station seems to stick pretty much to assigned tracks, as does NJT in Hoboken Terminal.
  by lowpost50

the dispatcher determines what platform a train uses, unless he's over ruled by a higher authority.
but he has to take into consideration, train length.passenger access and available platforms
  by Robert Paniagua

In the MBTA Southside, most Old Colony Trains use platforms of track 10-13 while Franklin could use 11, 12 especially if running via Midland or 11 on down to 3 if running via Shoreline. PVD/Stoughton Trains run tracks 2 (rarely) but 3-9 and Needham Line trains use tracks 2-8. Then Fram/Worc (Framingham/Worcester) trains use tracks 1-4, but oddly, the Westbound Boston Section Lake Shore Limited uses the Old Colony/Franklin-Midland Line tracks, requiring it to traverse the entire South Station lead! God forbid the LSL has a minor Oops in terms of breakdown or derailment, that could wind up blocking almost all BOS tracks....
  by jwhite07

oddly, the Westbound Boston Section Lake Shore Limited uses the Old Colony/Franklin-Midland Line tracks
I have noticed that both east and westbound LSL generally use Track 10 whenever possible. It's not odd at all... the LSL carries a baggage car, and where's the baggage room at South Station? Yup, next to Track 10!

South Station is set up so you can get anywhere from any track. On more than one occasion I've seen Acelas up on track 11 or 12!
  by Bobinchesco

At PSCC in New York, two console positions are manned by the LIRR Yardmaster and Amtrak Yardmaster who make track assignments for arriving trains using LIRR's TIMACS system. The dispatchers set up the actual routes, however.
  by Patrick Boylan

Can't the engineer have some say about which platform to use? If they see they're lined up for a platform that's too short, or if they see that they're lined up for a stub end track but they know they're supposed to continue past the station, do they get in trouble if they stop and get clarification? Or if they continue into the misrouting, do they get to share the blame with the dispatcher?

Are the Penn Station, or anywhere else, stub end tracks short? I bet it'd add insult to injury if if a long train got misrouted onto a short stub end track. Reminds me of when the fellow told me to take a short walk on a long pier.
  by Jtgshu

Patrick Boylan wrote:Can't the engineer have some say about which platform to use? If they see they're lined up for a platform that's too short, or if they see that they're lined up for a stub end track but they know they're supposed to continue past the station, do they get in trouble if they stop and get clarification? Or if they continue into the misrouting, do they get to share the blame with the dispatcher?

Are the Penn Station, or anywhere else, stub end tracks short? I bet it'd add insult to injury if if a long train got misrouted onto a short stub end track. Reminds me of when the fellow told me to take a short walk on a long pier.
yes, well the engineer needs to know how long his train is and if he notices he is misrouted, he should stop and call the dispatcher. Of course, there are only certain times when you can't tell where you are going until it might be a little too late.

For example, track 2 in NYP JUST BARELY holds 9 cars and a locomotive. If I had 12 MUs and saw that I was going to track 2, and not to track 1, I would stop as soon as i could and call the dispatcher and remind him nicely that I have 12 cars. Thats usually enough for them to realize. I might have to make a reverse move or whatever, but it would be less disruptive than pulling all the way in and then having to pull all the way back out.

there is a rule that states if the engineer notices he is misrouted, he must stop and call the dispatcher immediately. Kinda of a last chance thing. And it happens more than you might think.
  by justalurker66

Patrick Boylan wrote:Reminds me of when the fellow told me to take a short walk on a long pier.
Better than the opposite.

It would be rather foolish to take a train where one knows it shouldn't go.
  by Passaic River Rat

It depends on the terminal. My experience is with New Jersey Transit:
At Hoboken, the yardmaster determines where trains go. Dispatchers are responsible for getting trains to where the yardmaster wants them. There is a general plan as to where trains go, but the yardmaster needs to adjust the platforming for fueling and drilling priorities.
At places like the Atlantic City Terminal, there are no yardmasters. The mechanical personnel will make requests for moves to and from the fuel pad to the dispatchers.
At Newark Penn Station, the train director at Amtrak's DOCK tower is calling the shots.
Likewise at Trenton; Amtraks CETC-7 is calling the shots.
See above for New York.