• Valley Forge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by bigjim4life

Any updates on rail traffic in the Valley Forge area? I was thinking of going down on a Saturday or Sunday and railfanning down there. When would be a good time to go either day?
  by OCtrainguy

I've been there a few times and have seen both the 39G and the 38G in the afternoons. The 14G could also make an appearance during the late afternoon as well. I think there is an intermodal or two that may be seen in the early morning. Hope this helps.
  by bigjim4life

How early is early morning? :)
  by OCtrainguy

That, I am not sure about. I don't want to speculate as I'm just remembering what was told to me.
  by bigjim4life

Its amazing the things you'll hear while out railfanning. A nice man, a serviceman of some kind, came up to me today and started talking to me about how you can take a rain all the way from philadelphia to Pittsburgh before you have to get off and switch trains because Ohio has a different gauge of track...and that on a trip to Chicago, he had to switch trains three times because of different gauges. Oh and apparently the Pennsylvania Railroad and New York Southern Use Chessie engines these days. And the guy had to be in his 30's or 40's. I wasn't sure whether to feel bad or start laughing.
  by Schuylkill Valley

You can meet all kinds out there while rail fanning. I know I sure have. :)

I was sitting at the Royersford station a few years back an older ladie sat down next to me with two suite cases , I ask her what was with the two cases? she said "she was cathing the 515 to Philly to visit her sister for the weekend. " I said mam. Passenger trains don't run on this railroad any longer. She replyed " Yes they do! I was just out to see my other sister in Pottsville last month. " I said Oh. and just got up and walked away.
I feel she must had Oldtimers or something. because passenger service left the Old Reading Main Line in 1981.
Len.
  by glennk419

Nice video. I haven't been out to Valley Forge for a while but from what I could see in the video, it looks like they did a nice job in the renovation of the station. Now all we need is for it to start serving passengers again.