• Looking for Color Photos

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by NYS&W142Fan

I am looking for Color Photos of pre DO era NYS&W Railroad Passenger equipment. Inside and out. I'm concerned with the exterior, but some interior shots would nice. I need to confirm what the original color scheme was. I was told it was a maroon/red body, silver roof line, silver lettering and for a lack of a better description, Erie Green in the vestibules. If anyone can help out, either post the pics here or PM me if you would be willing to share.

Thanks!
  by NYS&W142Fan

Update to my earlier post.
I am actively seeking information, color charts/diagrams and color photographs of N.Y.S.W. Railroad passenger
equipment during the era of the independent Susie Q (ca. 1940-1960). Both interior and exterior views would be appreciated.
  by Otto Vondrak

NYS&W142Fan wrote:I am looking for Color Photos of pre DO era NYS&W Railroad Passenger equipment. Inside and out. I'm concerned with the exterior, but some interior shots would nice. I need to confirm what the original color scheme was. I was told it was a maroon/red body, silver roof line, silver lettering and for a lack of a better description, Erie Green in the vestibules. If anyone can help out, either post the pics here or PM me if you would be willing to share.

Thanks!

"Susquehanna: From Shortlines to Stack Packs" by Ken Karlewicz and Scott Hartley is what you're looking for.

-otto-
  by NYS&W142Fan

Thanks Otto, I'll look into it!
  by nyswray

Color photos of NYSW passenger equipment in the early 40's is hard to come by, and I'm not aware of much. However, I can offer this:

Right after the split from the Erie, the Stillwell coaches were maroon below the windows, grey along the windows, with silver roof and black ends (1940 to mid to late 40's). I've never seen a color picture of one of the coaches, but they were similar to the ACF railcars (except for the ends) and railcar 5012.

Starting in the late '40's / early 50's, they were repainted all maroon below the roof-line, and I would call the roof grey rather than silver. There are some color photos of this scheme on page 121 of the Morning Sun book "Susquehanna In Color" by Paul Tupaczewski.

In 1951, the NYSW purchased new, all stainless steel cars from Budd, which retained their stainless steel look. However, a number of the older Stillwell coaches were repainted into an all-silver scheme to "match" the stainless equpment.

In 1958, the Budd cars were sold, and second-hand coaches were purchased from the D&H. These were green with yellow lettering, and what appears to be a black roof.

Hope that helps.

Ray