• Knoll's Great Niagara Railroad venture???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Railroaded

The reading is a little dull untill you get to the last sentence. What the hell are they talking about?????-B in B

New owner plans offices, cafe for former hotel on West Huron St.
By SHARON LINSTEDT
Buffalo News Staff Reporter
1/22/2005

A 19th century Buffalo apartment building, most recently used as a brothel, will be reborn as a mixed-use commercial building that combines offices, a French restaurant and a guest house. Buffalo businessman David R. Knoll on Friday completed purchase of the former Lake Hotel, at 201 W. Huron St. Knoll and his China America Group were the high bidders for the city-owned property at a January 2003 surplus property auction, but it took two years to finalize the $39,000 transaction.

"Sometimes things take longer than you'd expect. We're now in a position to get in there and see what we can save and restore, and what needs to be gutted," Knoll said.

Built in the 1880s as an upscale apartment building, the four-story, Beaux Arts-style brick structure has weathered decades of neglect and abuse. Known as the Darrow Hotel, and more recently the Lake Hotel, the address got a tawdry reputation as a brothel in the 1990s.

Complaints from neighbors led to raids by Buffalo police, followed by prostitution-related convictions for the building's owners. The discovery of numerous building code violations also led to revocation of the facility's hotel license and it has been boarded up since 1995.

"It's jam-packed with debris," Knoll said. "We're going to gut what we have to and hope to discover some of its original charms are still there. It's probably going to take two years to get it where we want it."

The 10,000-square-foot building is expected to require $500,000 in restorations and updates to convert it.

The primary use will be as offices for China America Group, an international trading firm, as well as a few guest rooms for its international visitors. The South Elmwood Realty Group, which wants to convert the former Corn Exchange building to a hotel, will also take office space. Knoll's Great Niagara Railroad venture, which aims to develop tourist trains between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, will also be housed at 201 W. Huron.

by SimTrains

Knoll's Great Niagara Railroad venture, which aims to develop tourist trains between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, will also be housed at 201 W. Huron.
I am just as dumbfounded as you! I e-mailed Sharon Linstedt, who wrote the article, and asked how to contact this David R. Knoll to see what is up with this. I can find little info on him, and nothing on this so called project anywhere on the web. However I did find another article....
http://www.wben.com/newsroom/fullstory.php?newsid=02362
Which says that Ramada Hotels Group is behind this project.

by WANF-11--->Chaser

A tourist train from Buffalo to Niagara Falls? I hope it's not a sight seeing tour...

"On your right you will see the Linde Union Carbide factory, On your left you will see the Wheatfield Sewer Plant, On your right you will see the S.I.M.O.N scrap yard and on your left you will see the former Lehigh Valley freight yard"

All the wonderful sights on a trip through an industrial DMZ.

LOL