• The last great arched trainshed in the US?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Station Aficionado

NellieBly wrote:The shed at Richmond Main Street covered some stub tracks that ended at the headhouse. They were used for trains from the north or west terminating in Richmond. SAL trains stopped at platforms west of the shed, and C&O trains for Newport News at platforms east of the shed.

There are lots of balloon trainsheds elsewhere in the world. St. Pancras in London has an especially nice one, and King's Cross (also in London) has a pair of cast iron barrel vaults that are very impressive. The shed at York is not only a ballon shed, it's located on a curve -- the only one of its kind, I think. In Europe, Koln, Frankfurt, and the Gare Austerlitz in Paris have nice arched trainsheds. Fraunkfurt has five arches.

Milan Centrale has a huge balloon shed. So does Madrid Atocha, but it's not used for trains anymore. There are palm trees in it.

A couple of the Buenos Aires stations have sheds, as I recall, but they are not the classic American "balloon" sheds.

Hualampong Station in Bangkok has a low arched shed that looks somewhat like St. Louis. It was built by the French.
You can see some pictures of the Bangkok station here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/32008539@N00/ (but look soon, as the pictures will get pushed down the queue as new snaps are added).

In addition to York, the shed at Liverpool Lime Street is curved (slightly)--got to see them both this past summer.
  by John_Perkowski

Well, it's the greatest arched trainshed this member of the US Forces in Europe ever saw:

Frankfurt am Main Hauptbahnhof!
  by Jeff Smith

Indeed, Frankfurt a.m. is a great station; been there a few times myself.

Not much Amtrak in here, so I've relocated topic.
  by Patrick Boylan

I remember some nice views of Reading Terminal in the movies Blowout and 12 Monkeys.
Blowout's scene was when the station was still in service, the leading lady was going to catch a train for New York, she was standing in the passenger concourse, and one can see a bit of the shed through the gate.
12 Monkeys' scene pretended it was the airport, which in a way was appropriate since they filmed in the 1990's, after the trains had left the station and the shed had been converted to part of the convention center.

When the convention center first opened one got to the Great Hall, which I think is what they call the train shed area, from the north, or main part of the convention center. For real 'wow' effect it's a good idea to come in from the south, as prior posts have mentioned from Market St or the Marriot Hotel escalators. However since conversion somebody installed a bunch of art on the shed's ceiling,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinwburkett/3373506287/
which in my opinion detracts from the ceiling. Foamer that I am I'm perfectly glad they put the metal strips on the floor that mimic railroad tracks. Now that's art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_Terminal also mentions the movie National Treasure, but if I remember correctly those scenes were in Reading Terminal Market, which is underneath the train shed. I find it interesting that we have had train sheds, and stations in general, converted to markets, in this case the market, which I'm sure opened at the same time or only shortly after the station, has outlasted the train station. And the market is what's preserving the name 'Reading Terminal'

Tadman, as far as glorified subway stations go, I hope you'll agree that Market East station is one of the better examples. It's got big windows so at 11th and Filbert one can see the train shed, then turn and see trains running on the tracks a couple of stories below.