• Pennsy Wires in King of Prussia

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by JonnyRay

I happen to notice while driving through King of Prussia the remains of Pennsy wires on a single track line. I knew the Pennsy had wires on the Schyukill Valley line to Reading but as far as I knew, the whole thing was torn up and the wire only went as far as Norristown. Anyone know about this?
  by glennk419

The line that you saw is the ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff now known as the NS Morrisville line. It was originally electrified double-track and ran from Morrisville to Glen Interlocking on the Main Line and the C&A Low Grade line to the west. Most of the traffic on this now single track line, (primarily a couple double stacks in each direction daily) runs between Earnest (Norristown) and either Morrisville or the connector to CSX (ex-RDG) at Woodbourne. The only real traffic west of Earnest is a unit gondola train which runs occasionally between Coatesville and Morrisville.

You are correct about the PRR line that ran along the Schuylkill to Reading, Pottsville and Wilkes Barre. It was only electrified as far as Norristown. That ROW now makes up the Valley Forge trail between Shawmont and Oaks.