• Coal Pockets

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by gawlikfj

I've noticed that the Coal Pocket in Cedar Hill railyard is a shape I've never seen before .
The coal pocket at Derby Maine (BAR ) is very similar to the coal pocket at Maybrook ,NY (NYNH&H) and the Erie railroad had a similar design as Maybrook & Derby.
Was there a company years ago that made coal pockets for the railroads ? or did each railroad have their own company that made coal pockets ?
  by 2nd trick op

There undoubtedly were standard designs, but I'm not sure whether any were manufactured commercially. I would suspect so, because some lines were too small to justify their own engineering department.

One great place to look, if you could find a copy, would be the Railway Engineering and Maintenance Cyclopedia. published by Simmons-Boardman, who were still operating out of an office in Omaha when I visited a few years ago. The big Cycs are no longer issued, but "classic" copies are available for sale over the 'Net, and a local chapter of the National Railway Historical Society might have one, or know of a member who does.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1 ... cyclopedia
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by gawlikfj

Thank You for the info . Will check into it .
  by gawlikfj

I check into my question & found out the coal pocket at Cedar Hill railyard in New Haven,Ct. was built in 1927 by the Roberts and Schaefer Company . Around 800 tons of coal were distributed to 100 to 110 locomotives daily .