• Stored rail cars Cause Concern -Wilkes-Barre, PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Schuylkill Valley

You people fail to realize that the most of the public doesn't understand railroading like we do. You talk about the media reporting the information out to the public. they are just as bad. I remember about 15 years a go when Channel 6 WPVI News did a news report on the old PRR branch in Mont Clare, PA. with the tank cars sitting in storage there, They were making them sound like they were causing harm to the public because they were just sitting there, talking about the chemicals that might be in them. The tank cars hauled corn products for the one company that was out in Devalt, PA. Now do any of members remember the movie Atomic Train? That movie was the most fake way of transporting that type of stuff. Well, the media uses two or three frames of film from that movie to express to the public what could happen. Conrail was made to removed those cars from sitting on the Schulykill River Bridge and branch line. Now that NS owns the line they store N&W Covered hoppers, and no one says anything.

Most people don't think before they read the side of the car, to know what was in it. or they don't know to look at if the springs are depressed. We do because we know railroading.

Len.
Last edited by Andyt293 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total. Reason: Clarity and spelling.
  by wxyz1234

This isn't a case of NIMBY.....it's a case of IDCBINIMBY (I Don't Care Because It's Not In My Back Yard). If the graffiti filled piles of junk were parked next to some of your houses, we'd be hearing from you too. We have the same issue in Lakeville, MN, and here is our point: we bought/built houses near railroad tracks, not next to a RAILYARD. Big difference. If I bought one of those same rail cars and parked in it my front yard, my neighbors and the city would be at my door within the week. It's pollution,junk, blight, plain and simple. Not to mention, it attracts crime. We have been taken advantage of long enough and the rail cars need to be where they deserve to be based on their condition: THE SCRAP HEAP.
  by Andyt293

Would you build or a buy a house across the street from an empty parking lot and then complain about tractor trailers suddenly showing up and leaving trailers parked all over the place?

Where there are tracks, there is the potential for railcars.
  by 56-57

You said it better than I could Andyt293.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

im suprised there are any stored rail cars with the economy getting so good. oh well