• FedEx Walmart shipments

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by mkerfe

Are either FedEx or Walmart major shippers for any of the railroads? As far as FedEx there are\were dedicated trains for UPS anything like that for FedEx?

And I am sure that most of the stuff that ends up in a Walmart is on a train at some point but are any of their distribution centers served by rail?
  by railman616

FedEx Ground is just starting to move trailer by rail. I have had a couple on the Q119 out of West Springfield, MA. WalMart receives overseas container from rail intermodel site by trucks.
  by scharnhorst

I've seen Fed Ex trailers on CSX going across New York State some times you'll see 10 trailers other times 30 in a train intermixed with UPS Trailers. Most of them FedEx trailers are the longer 48 and 53 foot trailers. The small Pups travel across state by way of NYS Route 90. Not every train has them but some will have a few strays here and there too.
  by Jeff Smith

I live about five miles from a large WalMart distribution center in Statesboro, GA, which is relatively close to Savannah. It is along a short-line operated by Georgia Southern Railway, a sub of Pioner Railcorp (previously it was Georgia Midland). Unfortunately, they don't get anything by rail; the interchange with a Class I is a good 20 miles or so away, and they have no sidings. For this DC, they are pretty easily accessible off I-16 and a four-lane divided US Highway about five miles off of that. I don't know if this DC handles or has handled any port of Savannah traffic.
  by scharnhorst

I remeber back in the mid 90's Walmart used to ship there trailers by Rail. I caught a train once with 15 Walmart trails on it in New York State going West this would have been around the time when the Super Walmarts were just starting to pop up in the Northeast.