• CNJ Signal in Jim Thorpe - what was it?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

Since the early 1980s when I visited Jim Thorpe I noticed a single mast signal that is still there to this day. It's located at the base of the mansion house hill on the JT/Mahoning border.

Does anyone know what this signal was and when it was last illuminated? In 30 years I've never seen it illuminated. The lense has had the same break in it all this time too. Appears someone hit it with a rock.

It would be nice to see it lit up...maybe just for fun.
  by Schuylkill Valley

Do you have a photo of this ?

Len.
  by 56-57

It was an automatic for the eastbound main, after the CNJ/LV consolidation of 1965, it was in the right place to become the distant signal for the interlocking at Packerton Junction.. Through the end of CNJ operations it had two targets on it, at some point the 2nd target was removed.. The former CNJ signal system was deactivated in 1973, however, as a distant for Packerton this signal was kept in service, according to Mike Bednar it always indicated Restricting, and was lit until 1983 or so.

I'm afraid it won't be indicating anything anytime soon without a good deal of work, the base case is full of trash and is corroded quite badly on all four sides. I'm more concerned that it will fall from the vibration of a passing train, or be brought down with a gust of wind.

Also, putting a signal into service requires all sorts of behind the scenes paperwork, and ensuring it works as intended. Falling under FRA rules prevents one from putting up a signal just for kicks..

-Micah
  by carajul

So why was the signal cut off in 1983? There is still a red dwarf signal at packerton jct.

Also what is the single aspect for RESTRICTED? I've never seen a single aspect for that indication. Unless its white.
  by Andyt293

In 1983, Conrail sold the former CNJ mainline to Carbon County and the Carbon and Schuylkill Railroad was born. Signal was probably deactivated then.
  by 56-57

Restricting in any of it's incarnations involves either yellow, or it's a multiple aspect signal, a low yellow..

Before the question is asked, the reason that dwarf is still lit is due its' location at the property division. It's NS property, as is the rail from that point to #2 track.. Since CP-Packerton is interlocked, that dwarf is a necessity.

Micah