• Rail line in East Allentown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by DelawareLehigh

Does anyone have information about the status of the line that starts north of the Midway Manor neighborhood in east Allentown and runs east to 378. I think it meets up with an active north-to-south line that runs along the Monocacy.

Sections of the line appear to still have rail and track but it looks like other portions have been salvaged/cleared.

Any information would be great.
  by DelawareLehigh

Allentown City zoning maps show the line as being owned by Norfolk Southern, but I still don't know if that a) is accurate or b) means the line is still active.

It looks to me line was removed west of Airport Rd. to make way for the American Parkway. Perhaps NS is holding onto the eastern portion in case freight traffic from the industrial area once again materializes?
  by 56-57

L&NE's East Allentown Branch.

Quite busy at one time. One customer left at the end of Conrail.. Service lasted through the first year or two of NS... They derailed a GP40 on it and slapped a surcharge on freight to/from points on the line.

I'd love to see something rail-related done with the line, but our cities aren't too terribly industrial anymore..

-Micah
  by DelawareLehigh

Thanks for the link to the previous thread. This provides much of the information I was trying to find. I am sure the highest use for this line would be to service the manufacturing and shipping facilities in the industrial park. However, if active rail proves unrealistic, I couldn't think of a better location for a rail trail linking Allentown's residential neighborhoods with Bethlehem.

Thanks again.
  by carajul

Yea that's the LNE's allentown branch. It came off the LNE cement belt line to Bath (now the NS Portland Secondary). In order to chase away local business, NS added a switching fee of $500 for the remaining customers. They of course said "screw you NS" and now transload from A'town yard or somewhere nearby. There are a lot of industrial park buildings along the branch that could use rail service.

The branch terminated at E Hanover St & Turner St. The LNE had a freigh sta there. The building still exists and is undergoing massive renovation. The "LNE" sign is still on the facade. I think the freight sta was closed in 1959 (I think or 1953???) and then the LNE sold it and it was used as a bike shop. Until the recent renovations, the cement track bumpers and freight platform were still there. However, they were removed to make way for an expansion being built behind the building.

I have pics from the 1950s and the different RRs would show off their new passenger equipment at the end of the branch. People would come and show the kids the RR stuff and eat hot dogs and it would be like a block party.

Amazing huh, a branch line within walking distance of A'town Yard and NS doesn't want to serve it!