Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
  by Paul W Woodring

I have a nice B&W photo I bought several years ago at a train show that shows B&O 2-10-2 #537 supposedly leaving the coaling towers at Warwick, OH, Westbound with a hopper train (looks to be empties). Unfortunately, there is no information on the back of the photo as to original photographer, date or, location. Does anyone know what the original 4 digit number of #537 was, when it was renumbered, if it was a Lima or a Baldwin, and when it was retired, so I can narrow down the time frame in which the photo might have been taken? Thanks.

Paul Woodring
  by BaltOhio

Give me a few days to look up the info you want, but generally I'd say that the photo would date to the 1956-57 period. The renumbering was done in 1956, and steam lasted only a year or so after that. If westbound, the train would be loaded and probably headed for Willard. In this period the 2-10-2s were assigned to trains between Willard and Holloway on the old CL&W line, then part of the Wheeling Division. For all I know, I may have taken the photo myself, although Warwick was a favorite railfan hangout in those years and quite a few photos are kicking about.
  by Paul W Woodring

BaltOhio;

Thanks for your assistance. I'm fairly certain the photo was taken at Warwick, from what I know about the area. I've spent a fair amount of time in and around Warwick over the past 30 years or so. I grew up about 10 - 15 miles or so from there. My understanding is that the servicing area was pretty deep in the yard and is no longer easily accessible to non-employees, so I really can't figure out exactly where it was, although I have some idea of the general area, with a hillside in the background. It looks like the photo was taken between late Spring and Fall. There are leaves on the trees, but the tops of a couple of trees are leaf-less. Upon closer examination of the photo, it is clear that the third hopper is full, the angle of the photo probably hides the coal in the first two cars.

I bought the photo for several of reasons. I like the Big Sixes, Warwick is home territory for me, and maybe most importantly, I think there is a chance it was taken around the time I was born (June of '57). I know steam ran in the area that late, I've seen other photos taken in the area around that time.

Paul Woodring
  by BaltOhio

If you're interested, and if you're willing to be a little patient, I have a few 8x10s and numerous small file prints of shots I took at Warwick in the 1956-57 period which I'd be glad to scan and send on. If so, you might send me your e-mail address in a private message, and I'll pull out a few samples when I get time.

I can't tell you exactly where the coaling tower and water facilities were located. I only remember a fairly long drive down the service road from the tower, some distance beyond the Rt. 21 overpass. Your guess of the yard center may be correct, although I don't recall crossing any yard tracks to get to the facilities -- which leads me to believe that they were at the west end.

As you doubtless know, virtually all steam-powered freights stopped at Warwick for coal and water. In this period we commonly saw EM-1s that operated New Castle-Lorain and Holloway-Lorain, T-3s and T-4s between New Castle and Willard, Q-4s between Cleveland and various points on the Wheeling and Akron-Chicago divisions, and, as mentioned, Big Sixes between Willard and Holloway. This end of the Wheeling Division was still all-steam, at least in daylight, and the Akron-Chicago Division was a mix. The PRR's CA&C and Massillon lines were diesel by then, but we seldom saw action on either branch.

Herb Harwood
  by Paul W Woodring

Mr. Harwood;

Seems I'm not able to send PM's at this point. I appreciate your offer and am honored that you would be willing to do so. Hopefully I can take you up on that in the near future.

Thanks,

Paul Woodring
  by BaltOhio

Here's the info on #537: Built by Baldwin 5/26, c.n. 59186, as #6219. It was renumbered in the 1956 renumbering, and, according to the roster, was retired in 195, month unknown. However, I have shots I took of her in May and June 1957, so she was around that long at least.
  by Paul W Woodring

Mr. Harwood;

Thanks for your efforts. The image is good enough to clearly read the "537" on the headlight number board. The front number board below it is really filthy and you can't clearly make out the number. I re-checked the back of the photo, and now realize that the photo was taken by Robert F. Collins and printed and distributed by J. and D. Studios in NY. My guess is that I bought it at either a Gaithersburg or Timonium train show. I guess we both learned something new doing this.

Paul Woodring
  by BaltOhio

I see in my last message that in my compulsive rush I omitted the crucial digit in 537's retirement date, which the roster shows as 1957.

Seems to me that you should be able to do private messages, but I don't know railroad.net's system. Maybe, as in the railroad business, you have to have seniority. Anyway, if & when you want any images, let me know -- your call.