• Bowmanstown Diner Xing signs new

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

Just passed the xing at the Bowmanstown diner yesterday on Rt 248. The turn of the century cast iron cross bucks are gone and replaced with brand new modern ones. Did a rail fan swipe the old ones?

Any idea why this is still a protected xing since the road hasn't crossed the rail there since the late 1940s?
  by 56-57

It's a pedestrian crossing with a pedestrian tunnel under 248.
  by carajul

Oh, I see. But I think it used to be the original row of Rt 248 before they built the 4 lane modern road that's there now. I think at one time the Rt 248 went thru Bowmans.

What happened to the cast iron signs?
  by 56-57

Before 248 was four-laned, it was called 309 and ran on the two-lane road between Bowmanstown and Palmerton, the current-day Mauch Chunk/Hazard Road.

There was a highway crossing at the current location of the pedestrian crossing in Bowmanstown, used to access the other side of the river and for travelers on what is now called 895...

As for what happened to the crossbucks, the only possible answer I can see anyone here giving is 'Ask the railroad'... I can assure you they weren't turn of the century though. Old, yes, but not 110 years old.

Micah