• Excess Hieght Car Causes delays in Kingston, 1/13

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by n2xjk

I'm curious how the train even left Selkirk with an overheight load. I assume one of the track side detectors between Selkirk and Kingston caught this? Is the tunnel in Kingston the lowest clearance on the River Line?

by nydepot

What are you referring to? Something that happened recently?

Charles
  by n2xjk

Caption on a picture of a train at a crossing with a man talking to a car stopped at the crossing:

"A CSX employee explains to drivers on Flatbush Avenue in Kingston that the Flatbush railroad crossing will be blocked by a stopped freight train for about 30 minues Thursday afternoon. The train was southbound when its crew realized one car was too tall to clear an approaching overpass or tunnel, so they stopped the train, unhitched the car and switched it off the tracks. Thursday's problem blocked only the Flatbush crossing. ..."

by keeper1616

link? where is this from?

by n2xjk

It is in today's Daily Freeman...the physical paper. It doesn't seem to be on their web site.

by rcbsd45

I find this most interesting. There IS a high car Detector at CP 128, and if the car is over 20'2 " it will trigger an alarm. There are three electric eyes on this detector, all with various heights, but if the car inquestion exceeded the highest electric eye, then an alarm should have been tripped. There is also a readout in the Dispatcher's office as well as the radio alarm. Most times, the dispatcher will tell the crew over the radio the results of the scan after they have passed it, primarily to verify the "no defects" transmission and to verify the highest cars in the train, that is, which of the 3 heights settings were activated. If the car is over 20' 2. the first underpass is at MP 126, adjacent to Rte 9W, the next is the NY Thruway, and the next one is immediately north of the Catskill bridge an MP 110.5. The clearance on this third bridge is close enough that anything over 20' 4" would have very likely struck the overpass and not made it as far as Kingston, 9W crosses at MP 109.7(another close clearance), and there is also a location by MP 101 where 9W crosses over the tracks that also would have been struck, so I have to admit to some scepticism to this "excellence in journalism". Given the nature of the relationship with CSX and the City of Kinbston, I almost have to wonder if the reporter wasn't fed some story just to "play with" the reporter a bit.....

by Paul W. Brasky

The car in question is sitting in Kingston [North] Yard perhaps 50 yds. from Flatbush Ave. Whether this suggests a conspiracy or "doublespeak" by the RR is moot.