• Freeport, Schenley, & Kitanning

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by iceman977th

I'm going to see my grandparents this coming month for Christmas, and was hoping to pop over to Schenley to catch a ride on the Kiski Jct RR. I did want to know, I saw somewhere that NS C39 is the local run that drops cars off, is this correct? Do they come at any particular time of day that I might be able to catch them?

Also, I went over to Freeport to look for the KJRR, and found a railroad I mistakened to be it. After some Google-mapping, I found out it wasn't the same RR, but it branches of the NS Conemaugh line. The line runs to Kitanning, and dead lines. Anyone know what this branch is for? There's a siding about a quarter of the way up with some coal cars (at least thats what it looked like) on Google Maps. Is the line still active & can I catch something going up that line?

Also, what was the history of the rest of the Schenley branch that ran through Leechburg? My grandparents said a RR bridge used to cross between Freeport & Hyde Park but it was washed away by a flood. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
  by rr7135

iceman977th:

C39 is the NS local that serves the Kiski Junction Railroad. It's "NORMAL" schedule is Tuesday and Fridays, late morning/early afternoon. Traffic, track work, etc. can alter this schedule and they come in later in the day or another day.

We are running our passenger train this weekend (Dec. 4th & 5th) with hourly trips from 11-3. That will end or season for 2010. We work Allegheny Ludlum Steel's Bagdad mill on Tuesday and Friday, usually leaving Schenley in early afternoon.

The other line you inquired about is the old Pittsburg & Shawmut (now Buffalo & Pittsburgh/Genessee & Wyoming). It runs from the junction with the NS in Freeport up to a power plant at Reesedale. At one time it crossed over the Allegheny River at Reesedale and continued on to Brookville. Current activity includes coal being hauled from a tipple at Cadogan, coal delivered to the aforementioned power plant and a transload facility near Applewold/West Kittanning. Catching a train on the lower section is hit or miss. There is usually power kept at the transload facility.

The Schenley/Bagdad branch used to run up the Kiski River (through Leechburg) several miles, serving mines along the way. The track now ends at the upstream end of the Bagdad mill.

I hope this info is of use to you. The Kiski Junction Railroad can be reached at 724-295-5577.

Take care,
Bob
  by iceman977th

rr7135 wrote:iceman977th:

C39 is the NS local that serves the Kiski Junction Railroad. It's "NORMAL" schedule is Tuesday and Fridays, late morning/early afternoon. Traffic, track work, etc. can alter this schedule and they come in later in the day or another day.

We are running our passenger train this weekend (Dec. 4th & 5th) with hourly trips from 11-3. That will end or season for 2010. We work Allegheny Ludlum Steel's Bagdad mill on Tuesday and Friday, usually leaving Schenley in early afternoon.

The other line you inquired about is the old Pittsburg & Shawmut (now Buffalo & Pittsburgh/Genessee & Wyoming). It runs from the junction with the NS in Freeport up to a power plant at Reesedale. At one time it crossed over the Allegheny River at Reesedale and continued on to Brookville. Current activity includes coal being hauled from a tipple at Cadogan, coal delivered to the aforementioned power plant and a transload facility near Applewold/West Kittanning. Catching a train on the lower section is hit or miss. There is usually power kept at the transload facility.

The Schenley/Bagdad branch used to run up the Kiski River (through Leechburg) several miles, serving mines along the way. The track now ends at the upstream end of the Bagdad mill.

I hope this info is of use to you. The Kiski Junction Railroad can be reached at 724-295-5577.

Take care,
Bob
Thanks for the reply. I think I saw C39 when I was up at my grandparents. They run towards Freeport right? Are you guys still going to run up on those days without passengers at least? I might just come up and see the train leave. Do you guys ever use the other locomotive for switching?

On the B&P line, does C39 work with them or does NS deliver trains for pickup?
  by rr7135

iceman977th:

Yes, C39 runs down towards Pittsburgh and normally ties up at Etna.

We run freight year round and go to the mill on Tuesday and Friday. We mainly use our Alco (7135) during the passenger season and the Geep (752) the rest of the year.

Trains on the B&P can have NS or B&P power.

Take care,
Bob
  by iceman977th

rr7135 wrote:iceman977th:

Yes, C39 runs down towards Pittsburgh and normally ties up at Etna.

We run freight year round and go to the mill on Tuesday and Friday. We mainly use our Alco (7135) during the passenger season and the Geep (752) the rest of the year.

Trains on the B&P can have NS or B&P power.

Take care,
Bob
So you guys run up every Tuesday & Friday at the same time as you were supposed to leave for the passenger runs? At least if you guys use the Geep I have something interesting to look for :-) What radio channels do you guys use, if it's okay to ask? Thanks.
  by rr7135

iceman977th:

We usually leave after noon or so. Gives the mill a chance to switch any loads they have for us. Yep, we use the Geep this time of the year. The Alco puts on a better show climbing the curve/hill up to the main though!!! Our freq. is 160.455.

Take care,
Bob