• Switch Target requirements/FRA ???

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by along4theride

I had read on another post that switch targets are fixed signals and are not to be altered as far as the FRA is concerned. The same post seemed to assume this was true to non-mainline trackage. Here is the senario/clarification I seek. There is a stem switch which used to be Green when lined for the West Leg and Red when lined for the East Leg of the "Y". This switch is not on the mainline and leads to an industry. At some point in time both targetd/sides of the target were painted flat red, thus giving no indication whatsoeverf. To the best of my knowledge, the only notification of the painting of this target was word of mouth, originating from a trainmaster, in otherwords, no Dispatcher/System/Timetable Bulletin notices.

My question is, Is this legal? Can this target be painted over with the same color on both sides without proper notification? Or would this amount to the target (fixed signal) being tampered with?

I know how it is supposed to be, Look @ the points not @ the target, but I would like to know the FRA's perception on this and the legality of the scenario.
  by JoeRailRoad

along4theride wrote:I had read on another post that switch targets are fixed signals and are not to be altered as far as the FRA is concerned. The same post seemed to assume this was true to non-mainline trackage. Here is the senario/clarification I seek. There is a stem switch which used to be Green when lined for the West Leg and Red when lined for the East Leg of the "Y". This switch is not on the mainline and leads to an industry. At some point in time both targetd/sides of the target were painted flat red, thus giving no indication whatsoeverf. To the best of my knowledge, the only notification of the painting of this target was word of mouth, originating from a trainmaster, in otherwords, no Dispatcher/System/Timetable Bulletin notices.

My question is, Is this legal? Can this target be painted over with the same color on both sides without proper notification? Or would this amount to the target (fixed signal) being tampered with?

I know how it is supposed to be, Look @ the points not @ the target, but I would like to know the FRA's perception on this and the legality of the scenario.
FRA Emergency Order No. 24
http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/Policy ... erNo24.pdf

(I) Instruction

Each employee subject to this EO shall be instructed on this EO and the railroad's
operating rules relating to the operation of hand-operated main track switches in non-signaled
territory. The subject matter of the instruction shall include. but not be limited to:

• Operation of main track switches;
• Position of main track switches;
• Restoring main track switches to their normal position;
• Securing (locking) main track switches;
Correspondence of switch targets to switch position;
• Clearing limits of main track authority;
• Job briefings; and
• Switch Position Awareness Form (SPAF).

Joe
  by JoeRailRoad

JoeRailRoad wrote:
along4theride wrote:I had read on another post that switch targets are fixed signals and are not to be altered as far as the FRA is concerned. The same post seemed to assume this was true to non-mainline trackage. Here is the senario/clarification I seek. There is a stem switch which used to be Green when lined for the West Leg and Red when lined for the East Leg of the "Y". This switch is not on the mainline and leads to an industry. At some point in time both targetd/sides of the target were painted flat red, thus giving no indication whatsoeverf. To the best of my knowledge, the only notification of the painting of this target was word of mouth, originating from a trainmaster, in otherwords, no Dispatcher/System/Timetable Bulletin notices.

FRA Emergency Order No. 24
http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/Policy ... erNo24.pdf

(I) Instruction

Each employee subject to this EO shall be instructed on this EO and the railroad's
operating rules relating to the operation of hand-operated main track switches in non-signaled
territory. The subject matter of the instruction shall include. but not be limited to:

• Operation of main track switches;
• Position of main track switches;
• Restoring main track switches to their normal position;
• Securing (locking) main track switches;
Correspondence of switch targets to switch position;
• Clearing limits of main track authority;
• Job briefings; and
• Switch Position Awareness Form (SPAF).

Joe
Check out this section (20 Switch stands and targets) in "Trackwork and Lineside Detail for Your Model Railroad"
By Kent J. Johnson.
http://tinyurl.com/26jp3lh

Joe
  by DutchRailnut

Like a Model railroad is to govern ??