• Spikes or clips?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by JLJ061

While out railfanning yesterday I noticed that many railroads use tie clips to keep the rail in place while others continue to use spikes.

Out of an operational or maintenance standpoint, which works better?
  by 130MM

JLJ061 wrote:While out railfanning yesterday I noticed that many railroads use tie clips to keep the rail in place while others continue to use spikes.

Out of an operational or maintenance standpoint, which works better?
As you might expect it comes down to cost. Traditional cut spikes, tie plates and anchors cost less than the "premium" fasteners of clips. The biggest advantage of clips is that when the rail is changed, no spikes or lags need to be pulled out of the ties as is required with cut spikes. This helps extend the life of ties. This becomes a bigger issue in areas where the rail is changed often. RR's will often put the clips in curves, and cut spikes in the tangents.

Hope this helps a little.

DAW
  by DutchRailnut

The clips also hold the rail better, no need for rail anchors and less chance of heat kinks or rail creep.
  by lowpost50

Also you cant use spikes with concrete ties
  by strench707

lowpost50 wrote:Also you cant use spikes with concrete ties
Yeah I think if a railroad is spending the money to use concrete ties they would also find it necessary to use clips, not just because spikes are impossible, but if you want the benefits of concrete ties, the benefits of clips go hand-in-hand.

Davis