• Re: Interlocking Towers - why abandoned?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Alcochaser

CSX for one Uses a TCP/IP network to communicate with the field. As do many railroads, Few if any railroads use the pulse codes any more to communicate back to the office. If the equipment is still old style mechanical. Ether an adapter in the interlocking converts it to data OR the code line in the field controlling several interlockings have an adapter.

Here is a US&S Interlocking control, note the Ethernet port on it.
http://www.switch.com/wayside/microlok.html

Amtrak uses a LOT of US&S equipment.
  by Alcochaser

CSX for one Uses a TCP/IP network to communicate with the field. As do many railroads, Few if any railroads use the pulse codes any more to communicate back to the office. If the equipment is still old style mechanical. Ether an adapter in the interlocking converts it to data OR the code line in the field controlling several interlockings have an adapter.

Here is a US&S Interlocking control, note the Ethernet port on it.
http://www.switch.com/wayside/microlok.html

Amtrak uses a LOT of US&S equipment.
  by jonnhrr

What is the status of towers between NYP and Philadelphia? I was under the impression that this section was still tower controlled in recent times. Has this section now been converted to CTEC?

Jon
  by BuddSilverliner269

Between NYP and Philly you have Dock located in Newark NJ, Union near Rahway NJ station, and the legendary Zoo tower and thats it. Currently all new trenches are being dug and wires being laid to CETC Union and Dock but who knows how long that will take.The Harrisburg line you have Overbrook, Paoli, Thorn, Park(I believe this is still a part time int, open in case of track work etc) Cork in lancaster and State tower and between Philly and DC you only have K tower at DC Union stations throat. There is still Q and R towers located in Sunnyside Yard controlling movements within the yard with Q being an original tower and R tower was replaced when the High speed train shop was built and now the new R tower is located in the shop in the yardmasters office. Currently Cetc 1-6 is located in philly and Cetc 7-8 and Section A-B and PSCC are located in NYC.
  by jonnhrr

Thanks for the info, BuddSilverliner. I didn't realize that much of the Keystone corridor was still tower controlled. Must be the last such stretch in the country, at least with heavy passenger operation.

Jon
  by BuddSilverliner269

jonnhrr wrote:Thanks for the info, BuddSilverliner. I didn't realize that much of the Keystone corridor was still tower controlled. Must be the last such stretch in the country, at least with heavy passenger operation.

Jon
Yeah and that will only last maybe another 5 years or so. The line is slowlg getting Rule 562 signalling and will be CETC'd will the towers closing. I heard quite a few stories about where it will all be controlled from. Im hearing the entire line will be controlled by State Tower , and then Im hearing it will be controlled by Zoo tower when it gets CETC'd but more then likely it will be in Philly 30th street where CETC 1-6 is located but even that wont be for much longer as they will be building a new CETC center
  by Jmark

DutchRailnut wrote:The signal system uses dedicated phone lines or fiber optic cables to get signal from Dispatcher to CP point.
The signal is not TCP/ip but old fasion pulse code.
im really suprised they are not using tcp/ip as its MUCH more robust.
  by NotYouMOS

Jon[/quote]
Yeah and that will only last maybe another 5 years or so. The line is slowlg getting Rule 562 signalling and will be CETC'd will the towers closing. I heard quite a few stories about where it will all be controlled from. Im hearing the entire line will be controlled by State Tower , and then Im hearing it will be controlled by Zoo tower when it gets CETC'd but more then likely it will be in Philly 30th street where CETC 1-6 is located but even that wont be for much longer as they will be building a new CETC center[/quote]

The latest on cetc is that it will be moved to wilmington, the whole operation, to the cnoc building there. Talking to c &s though the originally scheduled spring move won't be happening though and it will be pushed to at least fall '10. When this occurs cork int will be closed and ctec'ed at that time. Ill believe it when I see it.
  by 2nd trick op

If you can tell a USS interlocking machine from a GRS

If the term "pipe line" doesn't automatically make you think of oil

If you can read an Employees' Timetable

If you know the meaning of the term "Spin the relay"

if you recognize the smell of a million cigarettes, with a touch of Diesel oil

or the sound of a Dispatcher's Long Line in need of fine tuning......

This link is for you ..... Enjoy!

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/A ... =241655889
  by lowpost50

there are very few interlocking towers left. there are a few 11 on the NEC. that is where their dispatchers come from.
I understand Boston's Dispatchers come from the street. it takes them longer to learn dispatching than it does someone that worked in a interlocking tower for a year or more on the corridor.
  by 2nd trick op

As noted in the "alltimeinterlockingtowerlist" group at Yahoo, UNION Tower in Rahway officially closed on September 26. A pretty stiff fight for a place once expected to be gone by 1997.