• Drug Testing

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by 2Quik

I'm wondering because some guys I've seen look a little messed up.
Last edited by 2Quik on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CN Sparky

Your wording.. is so very eloquent :)

Mechanical trades = no. Anything that is a "safety sensitive" position, ie. driving a locomotive; eg. labourer, conductor, supervisor (if required to become a conductor) = yes.

And the testing is very good. 7 things are tested for.. Hard to pass if you've got anything in your system. So if you're at all concerned about passing for some reason, don't be surprised if you test "not negative".
  by DutchRailnut

90% of railroad's now test all employees on initial hire.
  by MikeCDN

I agree with the previous post about " if you're asking - you shouldn't apply ".

Most railways, particularly the one I work for, are interested in people who lead healthier lifestyles i.e. non-smokers, not obese and who exercise. The reason being is that healthier people cost less in the long run by not using as many benefits, not taking sick days and have fewer work restrictions. This generally gets figured out in the probationary period. It makes good financial sense.

Another reason is your social circles. Even if there's a trace amount of THC in your blood and you use the old cliche " My friends were smoking it and I just happen to be in the room... " says a lot about you to the company. Who wants to hire someone that could potentially have these " friends " show up to visit them at work? You're now a liability.

One more reason isn't as much that you asked - it's how you asked.

My advice to you? Go get a pair of running shoes or a bike, use them, and get back to us in about a year.
  by slchub

I believe your posts stated earlier (as CN Sparky said: very eloquent) you were inquirying about the CN. Well if you fill out the entire online application you get the following message at the completion of the application:

I understand that I must be legally entitled to work in the U.S.; my employment is contingent upon my passing a pre-employment physical which will include drug testing; that my employment will begin with a period of probation; and that there are regulations and policies that apply to employment at CN.

In the U.S., CN complies with firmly established rules and regulations governing drug and alcohol testing after accidents or incidents and the random testing of employees in key groups.
http://www.cn.ca/en/corporate-citizensh ... llness.htm

While you may not be in the "key groups" you may still be included if an incident happens.
  by Smittytimes

I was recently hired by CSX and they took hair and urine. They are not kidding around. Don't waste your own time if you aren't sure. They will get you. On top of that, I don't want my life in your hands at work if you are fucked up.
  by Eliphaz

hm. the monthly 'drug test' thread. Use the Search feature newb, an/or moderator can this go in the FAQ or get a sticky