• This is Pathetic

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by benltrain

From Wikipedia:
March 13, 2006 – Austin, Texas, United States: Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, the reigning Miss Deaf Texas, is killed by the snowplow on a 65-car Union Pacific freight train while walking alongside the tracks and text-messaging her parents. The train sounded its horn repeatedly and attempted to apply the emergency brakes but could not stop before hitting McAvoy. [41]
I am sorry, but this is downright pathetic. Deaf Miss Texas text messaging her parents, not hearing the horn (obviously). What the hell was she doing near railroad tracks at all, let alone doing so while text messaging and not looking!!!

(Did this actually happen?)

by DutchRailnut

yes march 13 its old news and coverd on just about all railfan boards.

by GN 599

Yeah man try workin out here with the rest of us dorks. Tragic things like that happen everyday. Not to be too synical but don't people have common sense anymore. Last trip we (I was running) almost wiped out three 8-10 year old girls. It was horrifying. Don't parents tell their kids that the tracks are a dangerous place??

by benltrain

DutchRailnut wrote:yes march 13 its old news and coverd on just about all railfan boards.
I apologize Dutch, I must have missed the news.

by Seadevil

GN 599 wrote:Yeah man try workin out here with the rest of us dorks. Tragic things like that happen everyday. Not to be too synical but don't people have common sense anymore. Last trip we (I was running) almost wiped out three 8-10 year old girls. It was horrifying. Don't parents tell their kids that the tracks are a dangerous place??
Some do. My Dad worked 30 plus years for the RR. Living in a RR town, we averaged about 1 death a year from people running crossings. I was told that if he ever caught or heard of me (all the SP Engineers from my town would have told on me) do anything stupid around the trains, my life would end as I knew it. This stuck with me, 45 yo now and I refuse to run a gate if they are down, unless I can verify 100% that either there is no train and it is a gate malfunction or a train is stopped.

by Jtgshu

Headphones and Ipods are being a major cause of RR vs. person accidents, especially with commuter and passenger operations

Re:

by frikentrainnerd

Jtgshu wrote:Headphones and Ipods are being a major cause of RR vs. person accidents, especially with commuter and passenger operations
I'd say we take all Mp3's and I phone's off the market.
P.S. Jtgshu, I love your signetcher.
  by DutchRailnut

I hope your not gone answer all 4 year old posts ??
  by Robert Paniagua

Ok guys, enough of this nonsense, especially this happened at least four years ago. This topic has gone far enough as far as I see it, and I am now locking it from further commenting