• R&N route with run-thru traffic?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by train2

Hoping someone can fill in some details:

My memory from an earlier trip was that R&N moves some type of train over their route that goes from the Scranton area and ultimately goes toward Allentown. The time I shot it the train had Canadian power, my memory was CP, but don't hold me to that.

The details I am trying to determine: is that a CP (or CN) move? or an NS move? In any case what are the train numbers and what are the origination and destination of any such move?

Again don't hold me to exact details, this shoot happened on a one time trip to the area several years ago with someone much more familiar with the area.

Any details or info on the evolving history of any such moves would be appreciated.

T2
  by 56-57

The D&H (now CP) has had trackage rights over that line since 1976.. NS does as well, and for a time from 2002 through 2003 or 4 they were using CN power predominately, as it was the Allentown-to-Canadian National run...

-MJK
  by conrailsharedassets

Hi T2,

There are currently 4-5 run-thru trains running on the Reading and Northern Lehigh Division. With an average of about 4 a day (2 in each direction) along with 2-3 R&N trains daily. The following is the Train Symbols for the R&N Lehigh Division Mainline.

NS trains -

NS 12T North/West (Allentown to Buffalo via CP at Scranton and NS at Binghamton) Operates Daily
NS 13T South/East (Buffalo to Allentown via NS at Buffalo and CP at Binghamton) Operates Daily
NS M2T North/West (Allentown to R&N Penobscot Yard (Crestwood, PA) - This is a relatively new move and operates quite frequently as a turn with just NS to R&N interchange traffic from Allentown.

CP trains -

CP 257 North/West (Allentown to Binghamton) Operates M-W-Th-F and Sa with Autos, Intermodal and Trash from Jersey and Freight from Allentown.
CP 256 South/East (Binghamton to Allentown) Operates M-W-Th-F and Sa with Autos, Freight and trash from Buffalo and Intermodal and Freight from Montreal to points in Allentown and New Jersey.

R&N trains -

PILE South/East (Coxton Yard (Pittston, PA) to Lehighton Yard (Lehighton, PA) Operates Daily
LEPI North/West (Lehighton Yard to Coxton Yard (Pittston, PA) Operates Daily

PIPE South/East (Coxton Yard to Penobscot Yard) Operates As Needed (Usually a few days a week)
PEPI North/West (Penobscot to Coxton) Operates As Needed (Usually a few days a week)

PELE South/East (Penobscot to Lehighton) Operates As Needed
LEPE North/West (Lehigton to Penobscot) Operates As Needed

Crestwood Drill/Local (Works Industries in Crestwood and Switches Penobscot Yard) Operates 2-3 days per week.

I hope this helps!

Jim