• Buses-rule crossing tracks?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by northjerseybuff

What is the law for buses(njt) for crossing railroad tracks? I noticed not one, but several NJT buses not stop while crossing over tracks. In one case they slowed down and opened the door up and just went. Aren't they suppose to stop, open door look and then go?
  by SemperFidelis

Wow. Time to take the meds...

Sure, he could go away to make you happy...or, I don't know, we could be nice and try to inform rather than insult. I know, I know...I need to catch up to how people talk to eachother these days. You annoy me slightly! That means you're going to destroy America! Now show me your birth certificate so I can accuse you of faking it!

As I recall from my old CDL training buses are supposed to come to a complete stop and check for rail traffic before crossing a railroad at grade. If the railroad is marked "Exempt" normally a black on white, rectangular placard below crossbucks the bus does not have to stop. My father was always a real stickler about that rule when it came to our school buses, complaining about failure to stop until disciplinary action was taken.

I believe these rules date back to several horrific collisions between trollies and "steam railroad" equipment. I can't recall the details or date/location of the specific incident, but I recall a story my Pop-Pop (trolley driver for PSCT in Jersey) used to tell me about a trolley that had mostly school-bound children aboard that failed to observe a crossing or perhaps the gates didn't work and was hit at high speed by a commuter train. For some reason I'm thinking it was Pittsburgh or Cleveland, but I'm really not sure. Pop-Pops always have the best stories, don't they?

Off Topic- By the by, the same Pop-Pop was the man behind the stop that every PCC used to have to make on the Newark 7-City Subway Line before entering the subway portion of the line! He was operating either a PCC or an older car during a streak of bad weather, entered the tunnel at track speed and due to some freak ice behavior couldn't stop in time when he reached the bottom of the hill. He hit the back end of another car pretty well. No one was hurt and he earned himself a week off. I recall fondly talking to the older PCC drivers many years ago before the cars were mothballed. A few of the older men remembered the incident and chuckled about it because in a few minutes he'd have to stop his PCC, maybe 30 to 35 years after the incident. Ahh, trip down memory lane...

Back to the Topic- A railroad can petition the FRA or the DOT (not sure which one) to have a railroad crossing marked "exempt" so certain commmercial traffic, including tankers and buses, needn't stop. Perhaps the DOT of the state can petition the FRA as well because I can't see the incentive for a railroad to do so on their own. Generally the "exempt" status is granted when the line doesn't see much traffic, or perhaps only sees traffic during certain hours. I recall seeing "exempt" signs with certain hours listed on another placard.

Now go use google to search for answers and stop trying to discuss things on this discussion forum!
  by Idiot Railfan

I recall that the DL&W "Water Track" that crossed Route 46 at grade in Totowa was marked "Exempt" in its last years before the tracks were paved over. A thousand buses a day must have passed over those tracks. I do remember as a kid that many buses would move to the right lane and come to a stop before crossing the tracks.

Another slightly off topic thought, I remember one of the conductors who work on those trains saying that while it seemed to defy logic, it was actually easier to get across Route 46 during rush hours, when traffic was heavy, but moving slowly, than to try to flag down the sparse yet fast traffic late at night.
  by charlie6017

I have been a school bus driver in NY State for the last nine years, so I have a good idea. We are mandated to stop between 15 and 50 feet from the closest rail whether we are carrying passengers or not. We hit the 4-ways to communicate with traffic behind us that we are stopping for the crossing. The only tracks we do not have to stop at are exempted tracks or those that are governed by a "normal" highway traffic light.

As far as opening the door, there currently is no LAW in NY stating that we have to open the door, but various districts have their own policies. I always open the door as that allows for better hearing of surroundings--but the master switch must be off as to not activate the flashing reds.

As far as coach buses (non school buses), I am not totally sure if those are mandated to stop at crossings. In my humble opinion, they should be. Hope this helps...........

Charlie
  by 3rdrail

charlie6017 wrote:First things first, please knock off the unnecessary comments!

I have been a school bus driver in NY State for the last nine years, so I have a good idea. We are mandated to stop between 15 and 50 feet from the closest rail whether we are carrying passengers or not. We hit the 4-ways to communicate with traffic behind us that we are stopping for the crossing. The only tracks we do not have to stop at are exempted tracks or those that are governed by a "normal" highway traffic light.

As far as opening the door, there currently is no LAW in NY stating that we have to open the door, but various districts have their own policies. I always open the door as that allows for better hearing of surroundings--but the master switch must be off as to not activate the flashing reds.

As far as coach buses (non school buses), I am not totally sure if those are mandated to stop at crossings. In my humble opinion, they should be. Hope this helps...........

Charlie
Charlie- Buses which are non school buses in NY must stop if they are carrying passengers. School buses have to stop empty or otherwise. In NY, you also have to remain in a gear which will allow you to complete the crossing without shifting, once started. (In Massachusetts, the service door must be opened, then closed prior to proceeding accross the crossing.)
  by GSC

My wife just the other day completed all the tap dancing required to renew her NJ 'P' and 'S' endorsements for school bus.

A full stop is required, and now, the vehicle must be put into PARK to ensure the stop is made. Passenger door and driver's window must be opened for driver to see in both directions. 4-way flashers must be used before, during, and after stop.

Not kidding about the PARK part, get a CDL manual next time you are at MVC and read it for yourself.

One question she got wrong: How many pounds of explosives can legally be transported in a bus (highway passenger bus, not a school bus) Correct answer is 500 pounds! Explosives!!! (It's considered general LTL freight, and must be properly placarded).
  by 3rdrail

I too was surprised at the amount of time in these laws spent on sections defining specifics of explosives on buses at RR crossings in most states it seems when I looked up the NY statute for Charlie. It's probably due to the fact that troop carrying buses, such as National Guard, regularly possess explosives. It makes sense, as a vehicle not equipped as an explosives carrier is a bomb for all intents and purposes, especially if impacted greatly such as being struck by a train. Also, rescue workers need identifying information of explosives on board when responding to accidents with any vehicle.
  by charlie6017

I also recall the explosives statute as well.

GSC,
The "Park" rule has piqued my interest.......any of the CDL "large" buses I have driven here in New York haven't had a "park position" for the transmission--we just have "R N D 2 1" and when we are finished for a shift, we leave it in neutral and pull the parking brake. Was that what you were referring to or do the buses your wife drives have an actual "park"?

Just curious,
Charlie