• End of steam in revenue service...

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Gilbert B Norman

THAILAND--

December 1967; rode a train behind steam power for about ten miles returning to Bangkok (can't recall from where) at a cost of USD.05.

Engine crew (I think but wasn't certain) WANTED me to ride in the cab with them....but I "chickened'.
  by David Benton

Gilbert B Norman wrote:THAILAND--

December 1967; rode a train behind steam power for about ten miles returning to Bangkok (can't recall from where) at a cost of USD.05.

Engine crew (I think but wasn't certain) WANTED me to ride in the cab with them....but I "chickened'.
I would say that what was 10 miles form Bangkok in 1967 , is IN Bangkok nowdays .
  by 62577

West Malaysia - steam officially ended in the mid-1970s but due to motive power shortages 6 pacifics were reinstated shortly afterwards and continued into the 1980s and possibly later. Official figures show 6 steam locomotives as at 31st December 1979 but only one from 31st December 1980 through 1983. There were none in December 1984 but the last one was reinstated again in 1985 for use on centenary specials. This last locomotive, 564.36, was overhauled in 1995 for a special service but this venture failed after a few months and the locomotive was abandoned in its stabling siding where it stayed until recently when it was moved for 125th anniversary celebrations.
East Malaysia - the scheduled steam service was taken over by a local hotel but then the entire line was closed for major refurbishment and has yet to reopen (used to be the North Borneo Railway).
Indonesia - main line steam in the form of coal trains continued on the rack sections around Padang Panjang until the arrival of diesels in 1984 when steam was slowly eliminated within about a year. In 1985 a handful of D52 class 2-8-2s were still working on the South Sumatra line, I saw one at Tanjungenim in steam and another was shunting my train at Prabumulih during a trip from Kertapati to Lahat. On Java in 1987 I saw an 0-8-0T steamed for shunting at Bangil and a 106 year old 0-6-0T performing a similar duty at Kertosono. All these belonged to the PJKA. Industrial steam continues in use today on a very small scale mainly on sugar lines.
Wales - the Snowdon Mountain Railway has operated steam since its inception until relatively recently, having only two diesels on its roster. This has always been a tourist railway.
Isle of Man - The Isle of Man Railway has also operated steam since its inception but since the 1960s it has slowly gravitated from a commercial railway to a tourist railway.