• Frequency of CSX on the Met

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by njtmnrrbuff

What are my chances of seeing CSX on the Metropolitan Sub during rush hours? thanks.
  by strench707

Well your chances of seeing one are almost 100% since they run everyday in fair amounts. It being a rush-hour period doesn't really ensure more freight traffic, if its any factor there may be slightly less than usual because of passenger movements that might conflict. I have been lineside in the Silver Spring area in early afternoon (non-rush hour) and I saw three freight trains in about a two hour period.

You'll definitley see your fair share of MARC's though during that time. From what I've tended to notice is that they run more freights in later afternoon like 3-4 and onwards, picking up more at night. I've been out at 10PM with them crankin' them through.

Some usuals that are lineside more often on this forum should be able to help more!

Davis
  by gprimr1

I've found from my railfan trips on the MET, CSX matches the general train movements to MARC. In the mornings there's a lot of southbound traffic along with the MARC trains going into DC, then there is the Capital Limited which sort of closes out the Window. Mid-day you might catch either direction, or the maintainers might take one of the tracks out of service. Afternoon, they will open up and start sending stuff north and west.

Of course, trains headed for the Old Main Line may not follow this pattern, nor may a hot train, or a dispatcher may feel like making his life miserable and trying to run reverse peak.

In my experience, all rush hour means is the maintainers usually won't take tracks out of service.
  by mmi16

Freight traffic on the Met, as well as the Capital and RF&P during rush hours will consist of trains that basically have no HAZMAT in their consist. CSX rules require all HAZMAT in a train to be inspected the the crew of a train that has a emergency brake application before ANY traffic can be permitted to pass on an adjacent track. Thus freight traffic during rush hours will consist of Intermodal, autos, coal, rock runners, grain and empty hopper trains....trains that do not contain HAZMAT.

When trains that don't contain HAZMAT have a emergency brake application, other trains may pass the affected train at restricted speed after communicating with the crew of the affected train.
  by SurlyKnuckle

mmi16, to clarify. There is a difference between a train that contains hazardous materials and a key train.

If your train contains hazardous materials, but is not a key train, an a UDE occurs, you can do a roll by inspection of your train IF brake pipe pressure restores on the rear of your train when the engineer releases the brakes.

If you have a key train, you must do a walking inspection of your entire train even if brake pipe pressure is restored. In that case, the dispatcher will always give you block protection (i.e., not allowing trains to pass on adjacent tracks) until inspection reveals the train is not derailed/fouling adjacent tracks.

In the first sceanario, the dispatcher will often allow trains to pass on adjacent track at restricted speed, as per your initial response. However, these trains CAN contain cars with hazardous materials.

And make no mistake, they do run all manners of train, including those containing hazmats, and even key trains during rush hour.

Going further, you're more likely to see a loaded coal train during the rush as the 867 goes on duty at 1700...and even on the 867's rest days, they'll usually run a loaded 667 extra at the same time. I have taken both loaded and emtpy hoppers trains up and down the MET duruing MARC rush hour traffic.
  by mmi16

Trains that contain HAZMAT are run during Rush Hours are run under Dirty Harry rules....

'Are you feeling lucky? Well are you, Punk?"

VRE puts more pressure on CSX for On Time performance than MARC does. Most merchandise trains that carry HAZMAT on the Met are trains that are also operating on the RF&P and affect VRE operations. Merchandise trains that handle HAZMAT for Baltimore & Philadelphia are operated via the Old Main Line and only have to contend with MARC between Brunswick and Frederick Jct.