• Dansville railroading

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

Yesterday the weather was unexpectedly nice so I took to the air. I flew south crossing the Buffalo Line near East Aurora then over to the BR&P at Colden then south to Spingville then Ellicottville. Then proceeded east and landed at Dansville.

The last time I was at Dansville I checked out a truck stop for a new place to eat other than McDonalds. T/A has a nice restuarant and store there. I had already had my dinner so I left. When I arrived yesterday and looked for a place to sit down, I suddenly noticed all the photos on the walls. Very historic photos.

They have pictures of the former resort that sits on a hill overlooking Dansville. These pictures date back to around 1900. There are several pictures of steam action in Dansville at the Dansville Depot. Beautiful photos. They have two shots of the bridge going over the Genesee River at Letchworth. The shot has two steam locomotives pulling their load. I kept looking at it as if it was telling me something. Just as I was about to leave I looked at it again. It suddenly hit me. There are two bridges in this picture. The original and replacement! Both bridges are standing there with a train on each bridge.

The original bridge looked something like the upside down bridge at Lockport. A single steam locomotive was sitting on it. That was in the background. The new bridge with the tandem loco's are in the forground. There is third picture of the bridge with another steam loco pulling its load. I couldn't make out who operated it. The first boxcar in the line was a DL&W. The tender was marked #740. But I just couldn't tell who operated the steamer. There is a picture of the DL&W yard in Groveland. There is even a picture of the Dansville Tennis Club from 1880.

If you're on the road or looking for something to do, check this place out. It's off of the 390. If you're southbound make a right turn off the exit ramp. If you're northbound make a left off the ramp and go back underneath the 390.

When I departed it was 6 degrees with 20 minutes of cleaning the frost of the wings. It was worth it.
  by FarmallBob

SST wrote:
They have two shots of the bridge going over the Genesee River at Letchworth. The shot has two steam locomotives pulling their load. I kept looking at it as if it was telling me something. Just as I was about to leave I looked at it again. It suddenly hit me. There are two bridges in this picture. The original and replacement! Both bridges are standing there with a train on each bridge.
To the best of my knowledge there were never two Erie bridges side by side in Letchworth. The original wooden bridge was destroyed by fire in 1878. It was replaced with the current iron structure only a few short weeks after after the original fell.

Rather I suspect you were looking at an image of the Pittsburgh Shawmutt & Northern(?) trestles over Stony Brook Glen just south of Dansville. For a time two bridges stood side by side at this site - the second (northern) one erected to replace the limited weight capacity original structure.

Both PS&N bridges are long gone. However foundations of both are clearly evident near the south end of Stony Brook Park. ...FB

by rls62

Check out this link: http://wnyrails.railfan.net/psn_dansville.htm
It has a photo of the PS&N trestles at Stonybrook which may be the same photo you saw in the restaurant.

An excellent source is the book "Railroads in and Around Dansville, NY" which I read about 20 years ago. If my memory serves my correctly, the second trestle was built about 1913 and dismantled in 1948, one year after the PS&N was abandoned.
Last edited by rls62 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by sd80mac

You're right it make sense to have the photo of that bridge while the location of that bridges is only couple miles south of Dansville in Stony Brook State Park.

ken
FarmallBob wrote:
To the best of my knowledge there were never two Erie bridges side by side in Letchworth. The original wooden bridge was destroyed by fire in 1878. It was replaced with the current iron structure only a few short weeks after after the original fell.

Rather I suspect you were looking at an image of the Pittsburgh Shawmutt & Northern(?) trestles over Stony Brook Glen just south of Dansville. For a time two bridges stood side by side at this site - the second (northern) one erected to replace the limited weight capacity original structure.

Both PS&N bridges are long gone. However foundations of both are clearly evident near the south end of Stony Brook Park. ...FB[/quote]

by SST

I clearly wasn't aware of the Stony Brook Glen bridge. The link above is definitely the same as in the restaurant. It's an actual photo of the bridges, not a post card.

Ya learn somthing new every day.