Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by nydepot

D&H #653 4-6-0.

Any ideas?

Charles
DH #653 4-6-0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Dieter

Undeniably, this MUST be an "Adirondack" class locomotive photographed on the Lake George branch! :wink:

D/
  by nydepot

I've since found out this loco was being tested and that area is for the test crew to sit and watch their gauges and such attached to the front.
  by Steve Wagner

Scroll down on the photo -- that's no 4-6-0. The 653 was the last of three very special 4-6-2's, home-built by the D&H, I think.
  by nydepot

Yes, that's a typo.
Steve Wagner wrote:Scroll down on the photo -- that's no 4-6-0. The 653 was the last of three very special 4-6-2's, home-built by the D&H, I think.
  by BobLI

Off topic...Why is there such a wide firebox on that locomotive? Were most D&H engines using a wide firebox?
  by nydepot

I thought the burning of anthracite required a larger surface area?
BobLI wrote:Off topic...Why is there such a wide firebox on that locomotive? Were most D&H engines using a wide firebox?
  by amtrakhogger

BobLI wrote:Off topic...Why is there such a wide firebox on that locomotive? Were most D&H engines using a wide firebox?
Many D&H steam locos had Wooten fireboxes which were of a particular design that was larger to accommodate the burning of anthracite coal. The anthracite coal needed more surface grate area to get the same heat content versus burning bituminous coal with a standard type grate area.
  by Cowford

The engine has an unconventional valve gear arrangement (some variant of the poppet rotary cam type?)... I'd bet a nickle that was the reason for the testing.
  by Matt Langworthy

Steve Wagner wrote:Scroll down on the photo -- that's no 4-6-0. The 653 was the last of three very special 4-6-2's, home-built by the D&H, I think.
Yep, that's one the special high-pressure steam locos built during the L.F. Loree years. She had 64,000 pounds tractive effort, Dabeg rotary-cam poppet gear and a jaw dropping 325 psi boiler pressure! I'm looking at photos of her right now in Jim Shaughnessy's Dleware & Hudson right now... and #653 was apparently the most powerful 4-6-2 ever built. I've never seen a pic of her with that "dog house" on the pilot, so that's a nice find. :-)